Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It just dawned on me as I'm trying to decide if I should re-chrome my original bumpers or buy after market ones? How do I know if the ones on my car are the original ones? I don't want to spend $900 +/- to re-chrome ones that I can replace for $300! ! I've had the car ('70 Nova) for 3 1/2 years & the bumpers looked brand new when I got the car. And now they are rusty, although I do live at the beach. Does anyone know the thickness of original bumpers. I have a thickness gauge (if I can find it). Or are there markings on originals?.. Thank You! Bill

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you but my question is how do I tell if they are the originals? The guy I bought the car from could have put $300 aftermarket bumpers on it! I don't want to pay $900 to re chrome them!

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
If the bumpers are off, then maybe the weight of the bumpers? I'm a 2nd gen guy but the repo bumpers are much lighter then originals on a 2nd gen. Might be the same for 3rd gen?

If you want to be sure, then buy another set of OEM bumpers cheap and get them re-chromed so you know. Just my .002

Dave

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You for the replies! I'll take the bumper off tomorrow, look for a part number & weight it. I found out the AMD front bumper weights 18 Lb's & is made of 13 gauge steel. 13 gauge is 3/32"... And for comparison a '70 Chevelle bumper weights 26 Lb's...

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Ive had aftermarket bumpers on the front and rear of my car for 9 years now, and they still look as good as they did when i got them out. I did paint the back side of them black to make them last longer and it has seemed to help.

for the cost it was 1/4 the cost of getting the originals rechromed.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
My AMD bumper from Summit is a perfect fit. Some paint the backsides silver if the chrome isn't that good. I didn't do anything to mine except bolt it on with a new bolt kit.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank You for the replies everyone! Yep, I'm going with aftermarket bumpers. I'm 99% sure mine are aftermarket & even if there not I don't want to spend the bucks for re-chroming.... Bill

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have AMD bumpers for my 72. Where the holes are cut for the front marker lights, you can see the metal was cut with a plasma cutter, as opposed to a shear/stamp like the OEM ones.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have AMD bumpers for my 72. Where the holes are cut for the front marker lights, you can see the metal was cut with a plasma cutter, as opposed to a shear/stamp like the OEM ones.
Wow! Thanks for sharing that! I was seriously considering AMD's. Of course my main reason was they're the least expensive.... Bill

·
Registered
673 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to buy AMD bumpers, it's a tiny detail you can identify if you look very closely... AMD probably did it this way, versus building and maintaining the stamps to make the metal blanks. It's definitely CNC cut. I was just trying to point out one way you might identify reproduced metal.

On the exposed areas of the bumper they look and fit great.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Where are you located? If you are near San Diego or willing to make a drive you can get your original bumpers chromed for $300 in TJ. Mine came out really good.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
After market bumpers have smoother edges on them, originals are fairly sharp on the backside of the edges.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank You Everyone! Ok, I ordered a rear bumper from Goodmark. For the most part they had good reviews. I called & the guy said they have 2 different levels of quality on some of their bumpers. One is stamped & chromed overseas & the other is stamped overseas & chromed in the US. I got the one that's chromed in the US. Be here Monday so we'll see. I haven't gotten the front bumper yet.
I'm probably a good 4+ hours one way to San Diego so that's out.
I looked at the edges on my bumpers & they are sharp/rough. Especially on the inside lip where the cut outs are....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts