Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The passenger side wheel well on my 63 Nova has a hole rusted through the material. This goes into the area by the floor vent. So how do I go about completing the repair??? The drivers side is soft but there is no holes so I will replace or repair this side also.. I'll be standing by waiting for the tips of the trade.

Thanks in advance!!

:ragtop:

·
Registered
72 Frame off, bare metal resto-mod. 383, TH350, Eaton Posi, Complete new suspension, disk brakes
1,519 Posts
Replace some metal

It depends on your goals, skill levels, patience and tools available. If your goal is to be 100% correct you are looking at some serious cutting and welding. The worst plan would be to fill it with bondo and call it good. So, if somewhere in the middle is where you want to go, then there is still some cutting out to do. Get the rusted area really cleaned up on both sides and then you can make some patches out of 18ga sheet stock and weld them in. I'd use met-al filler to smooth it out a bit and protect the area, then seal and paint it. It's not an easy area to work, and be sure to keep the drain holes open so water will drain through.

Let us know what you are thinking as an overall plan and we can provide more concrete ideas.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It depends on your goals, skill levels, patience and tools available. If your goal is to be 100% correct you are looking at some serious cutting and welding. The worst plan would be to fill it with bondo and call it good. So, if somewhere in the middle is where you want to go, then there is still some cutting out to do. Get the rusted area really cleaned up on both sides and then you can make some patches out of 18ga sheet stock and weld them in. I'd use met-al filler to smooth it out a bit and protect the area, then seal and paint it. It's not an easy area to work, and be sure to keep the drain holes open so water will drain through.

Let us know what you are thinking as an overall plan and we can provide more concrete ideas.
Thanks for the information!! I would like to do it right so that it's done and I don't have to come back to it. I'm not a body guy but I can get if done with the right instructions. So give me all the ideas you have.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
if it was me,i would all undercoating and see how much area needs to be cut out.its not that bad of a job......if i can do it anyone can

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if it was me,i would all undercoating and see how much area needs to be cut out.its not that bad of a job......if i can do it anyone can
Yes, I will get rid of the undercoating and see just what I'm dealing with. I want to get this repaired so that I don't have to come back to it. I'm also in the process of swapping in a 327.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
EarlyIIS & Kid63, thanks for the information!! I don't think mine is that bad, but until I tear into it I just don't know. I'll post pictures when I get into this part.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
You need to pull the fender and look at the bottom near the rusted out part. I dont think I have ever seen one rust out through the front before the sides get rusted out.

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
FINDING A DONOR PIECE IN GOOD ENOUGH SHAPE TO PATCH IT IN, WILL BE HARD! I DID AND RECOMMEND THE 18 GUAGE SHEET METAL ROUTE. I PATCHED MY FLOORS AND SOME AREAS ON THE UNDERSIDE! :cool:

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
IF YOUR LUCK IS ANY LIKE MINE, LEAVE IT BE! :eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
72 Frame off, bare metal resto-mod. 383, TH350, Eaton Posi, Complete new suspension, disk brakes
1,519 Posts
Fear

It's the only thing stopping you. It's also a great time to add to your tool box. You tube has lots of videos of body repair and metalworking.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Generally if it's rusted through you can count on multiplying the size of the repair area 3-4 times. That heavy undercoat is not doing you any favors, once that heavy tar starts to dry out and split it's a water trap. Once you find out just how big the repair area is if done right you can panel bond in a patch without welding if it's not to large.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Generally if it's rusted through you can count on multiplying the size of the repair area 3-4 times. That heavy undercoat is not doing you any favors, once that heavy tar starts to dry out and split it's a water trap. Once you find out just how big the repair area is if done right you can panel bond in a patch without welding if it's not to large.
x2, i totally agree with FST_FWD.:yes:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts