Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if i have posted this in the wrong section.
I've noticed going to car shows and such that I haven't been seeing a lot of the '65 Chevy II's that have the smaller back glass. Are they pretty common and folks just aren't showing them much, or are they kind of a rare thing nowadays?

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
A small back window indicates a sedan. There were more sedans made than hardtops but they are less desirable so many ended up in junk yards.

·
13,969 Posts
You see fewer 1965 Chevy IIs, because it was a low production year. 122,800 were built. Compare to 1963 when almost twice that many were produced.

Bob

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
You see fewer 1965 Chevy IIs, because it was a low production year. 122,800 were built. Compare to 1963 when almost twice that many were produced.

Bob
Couple the lower production numbers with the fact that the 62, 63, & 64 all look much more alike then 65’s and that many of the 65’s lost their identity with replacement of earlier model trim parts whether it be for reasons of lack of availability or lack of interest to maintain the 65ness. The 65 will be the least common specimen of the 1st gen models to lay eyes on.

·
Premium Member
3,547 Posts

Bob
I am not sure if your numbers include Canadian built cars. When I sent away to GM for the info on mine it came back with " 1038 cars built. I know there were a lot more built in the U.S.

·
6,490 Posts
My 65 sedan was one of those 1038 cars. After 17 years of owning it I sold it to someone in NH. He owned it for 10 or so years and contacted me when he was putting it up for sale with Barret Jackson. BJ didn't recognize the VIN number and so the owner contacted me. Seems the Canadian VIN numbers are completely different from the US numbers(I still had something that had the numbers of my old car). The car was/is legit, BJ must not have had a Canadian Nova before. Never did find out if it went through auction or not.

·
13,969 Posts
I am not sure if your numbers include Canadian built cars. When I sent away to GM for the info on mine it came back with " 1038 cars built. I know there were a lot more built in the U.S.
My post above did not include Canadian cars. In 1965, there were only 8584 Chevy IIs built in Canada for the domestic market. In addition, there were 2102 LHD export cars and 1107 RHD exports built. The 1038 figure you have would be for your particular model.

My 65 sedan was one of those 1038 cars. After 17 years of owning it I sold it to someone in NH. He owned it for 10 or so years and contacted me when he was putting it up for sale with Barret Jackson. BJ didn't recognize the VIN number and so the owner contacted me. Seems the Canadian VIN numbers are completely different from the US numbers(I still had something that had the numbers of my old car). The car was/is legit, BJ must not have had a Canadian Nova before. Never did find out if it went through auction or not.
In 1965, Canada still had 12 digit VINs. The U.S. had 13. Canada went to the 13 digit VIN beginning with 1967 production. There are a lot of things B-J doesn't know about Canadian built cars.

Bob

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for your input. I guess I didn't realize the numbers produced that year were far less than previous years. Also, when I bought mine, I didn't really realize that the smaller back glass was only used in the '65, just wanted a basic Chevy II and liked the look of the smaller glass better. Lol

It's interesting I'm not the only one noticing seeing less of them.

Speaking of Barrett Jackson, I've been watching the auction quite a bit this week and haven't noticed a '65 sell yet, but I could have missed one.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm curious, how did you send to GM for info, and what type of info did you receive? Or is this just a Canadian option?

·
13,969 Posts
This is a service offered for cars built in Canada. Vintage Vehicle Services has all the GM info for these cars and can provide owners with documentation. If you want to read more about it, go to the Canadian forum and click on the second sticky from the top of the menu.

Bob

·
6,490 Posts
Speaking of Barrett Jackson, I've been watching the auction quite a bit this week and haven't noticed a '65 sell yet, but I could have missed one.
I was there today and although there were a lot of Novas, I don't recall seeing a 65. Quite a few 66 and 67 Novas there and many were top notch ones. One 4 door wagon and 1 wagon converted to a 2 door sedan delivery.

·
Registered
938 Posts
My 65 sedan was one of those 1038 cars. After 17 years of owning it I sold it to someone in NH. He owned it for 10 or so years and contacted me when he was putting it up for sale with Barret Jackson.
I saw the cardomain pics in your signature. I take it that was the 65 you sold back then? Nice! That does look like BJ quality.

·
Premium Member
3,547 Posts
They sent a nice letter and an official decoding of the options as well as some overall information with various specs on the 65.
Original color was tuxedo black, two speed power glide, 194 engine,
My car was nothing special but is a great resource for anyone with any kind of Canadian built GM car.
I did the same for a 68 Camaro I had and I was able to prove it was an original SS, 396 four speed m21, 12 bolt 373.

·
13,969 Posts
They sent a nice letter and an official decoding of the options as well as some overall information with various specs on the 65. Original color was tuxedo black, two speed power glide, 194 engine,
I did the same for a 68 Camaro I had and I was able to prove it was an original SS, 396 four speed m21, 12 bolt 373.
That's a solid car to be able to verify!!
The documentation service that is available for Canadian built cars is valuable for any vehicle, but especially for unique and rare models. With the exception of one car, every car in the Canadian L79 Registry is documented. The fact it states it was a factory L79 and even gives the original engine suffix code is invaluable information to have.

When Nova and Acadian production moved to Willow Run, Michigan, in 1968, GM Canada continued to keep all the information on cars exported for sale in Canada. As a result, these cars can also be documented. Any concerns about documentation being forged can be quickly alleviated by having the vehicle documented again. Prior to buying, I had both my L79 Nova SS and L78 Nova SS re-documented to eliminate any possibility of bogus paper work.

Bob

PS: The one L79 without documentation in the Canadian L79 Registry fell into a short period where some microfiche records at GM Canada were damaged in a fire. Fortunately, the POP was still with the car stating it was a factory L79.

B.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hmm, I'm wishing that kind of service was available here in the US, maybe it is and I just haven't learned of it yet.

·
13,969 Posts
Hmm, I'm wishing that kind of service was available here in the US, maybe it is and I just haven't learned of it yet.
It isn't. The best you might be able to do is join NCRS and get the date your car was produced and the selling dealer name.

Bob

1 - 20 of 46 Posts