Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fitting up the CBR mod front end to get everything checked out and came across some REAL CLOSE clearance between the tie rod end and the rotor.
I have, what I believe to be, a front disk kit from Classic Industries.
Brake kit
Automotive tire Wood Gas Rim Electrical wiring

Automotive tire Wheel Vehicle brake Motor vehicle Wood

I'd really rather NOT buy another brake kit, I've already got more than enough into this at this point, but I also don't need to be having problems where they don't need to be and band-aid fixing stuff.

·
Registered
326 Posts
What do you do with the car? It looks ok for an average street driven car. If it's a race car where the brakes will be getting red hot, it's kind of close. The boot might melt. You can make a simple sheetmetal heat sheild that goes under the tie rod nut and surrounds the boot to protect it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Street car, cruises, hope to do one of the power tours or race week for fun. There's not enough room for a heat shield, a cotter pin won't even fit. I watched a video I found from Chuck, but they were running a manual rack. I'm wondering if hooking the rod end into the hole for a manual rack would be ok, or if it would make the steering overly sensitive. I'll see what Chuck says after the holiday.

·
Registered
1963 Nova convertible
925 Posts
Ok so its not a drop spindle thats what I wondering. Compare it to the one you took off. Maybe that original spindle will fit better. My brake kit used the stock spindles. Also I think some kits do not work with 2 inch drop spindles. Let me knoe what you find.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so its not a drop spindle thats what I wondering. Compare it to the one you took off. Maybe that original spindle will fit better. My brake kit used the stock spindles. Also I think some kits do not work with 2 inch drop spindles. Let me knoe what you find.
Sorry, I mean the spindle I have is the only one I have. I didn't buy the brake kit myself, it came on the car when I bought it. Is there a difference in a 4 lug and 5 lug spindle? I've looked and searched, but haven't seen anything that says one way or the other between the two.

set it at ride height and see if there is more clearance

that tie rod is angled down quite a bit there

Would setting ride height make a difference here though? The tie rod flattening out would make the boot bulge outward a bit more making it worse though, right? I'll drop in on the ground and try for sure, I need to roll the car out to clear out stuff from above and get ready to hang some drywall and prep for insulating anyway.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Curiosity got the best of me so I went and tore apart all the packing material and boxes to make sure, and I found nothing else.
My steering arm looks a bit different than yours seems to be. And the bag of spacers I have don't seem to fit anywhere else I've looked. Here's a few pics, I'll shoot the guys an email tomorrow and see what I'm missing, or what I've maybe installed wrong.

Automotive tire Wood Bicycle tire Bicycle part Gas

I thought maybe these were in the wrong spot, and should be the other machined spacers from the bag in the following pics, but they're too wide to fit with the coilover eyelet and too narrow to fit snug with out it.
Gas Automotive wheel system Machine tool Machine Auto part

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Fluid

Attachments

·
Registered
740 Posts
My arms are straight and don't have the 2 holes. Are yours marked left and right? It looks like if the one you posted was on the other spindle the curve would be away from the rotor. That could be a cure for the spacers I have so they wouldn't be necessary. Give Chuck or Jr a call, because it's not cler in the instructions now that they changed steering arms.

·
Registered
740 Posts
It looks like you have 2 of the spacers/washers in each bag. The original instructions with CBR's first kit had much clearer instructions and pictures. There is also a lot of bolt left out on your spindles so it would seem something needs to take up the room or you have the wrong bolts attaching the steering arms.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They are machined to fit on the outsides of the arms. The instructions supplied say the cbr should be on the inside, mine say USA so figure that's right. I don't think they'd fit swapped, interference with spindle and steering arm.
The two holes btw are marked for pwr and man steering. The spacers in the bag are the same as what's used for the lower arm mounts. Wondering if I might have gotten an extra bag.

·
Registered
740 Posts
They are machined to fit on the outsides of the arms. The instructions supplied say the cbr should be on the inside, mine say USA so figure that's right. I don't think they'd fit swapped, interference with spindle and steering arm.
The two holes btw are marked for pwr and man steering. The spacers in the bag are the same as what's used for the lower arm mounts. Wondering if I might have gotten an extra bag.
That is right, that the CBR should be towards the inside. I bet you are missing the spacers. Even it the tie rods don't hit the rotor (which they can't because nether one moves any more than where they are) the rim might hit it depending on your wheel back spacing.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts