Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My headers are in great working condition but they are rusty. No holes or anything like that.

I talked to a guy about sand blasting them but he wants $100.00

Can i just treat the rust with rust mort and paint them with a high heat paint afterward or will the rust come through all of that? What can i do for under the cost of just getting a new set?

Thanks

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd like to know this as well. Mine are looking a little rough now as well but work great, no leaks/holes, etc. Subscribed for future reference.

off topic, but how do you SUSCRIBE to a post??

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Just above the thread there is a thing called "Thread Tools". Click on that and the last item of the drop down is "Subscribe to this Thread". This way when people comment on the thread it shows up in your User CP so you can check on the updates and stuff.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
awesome!

thank you both.

now back to the rusty headers.. what can i do??

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
coating headers

I think most coating places blast the headers first anyway.Look for a coating place in your area.shipping is a big cost in the price of the coating,so if you can take them to a coater it will save you.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
2 ways to go:

1. Call summit and have ceremic coated header delivered for 245 bucks and sell your used ones for $75-100

2. Call a ceremic dip place and they will charge $200 their is a guy that does all the big swap meets in northeast that charges $200 and Coates inside and outside of tubes and guarantees them for life

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got a quote from Jet Hot to do my shorty block huggers.They want $245 plus $45 for shipping.I could by new ones for that price.
exactly..
that's too much.

i have a guy that will sand blast the rust off. after that i think i'll just primer them and use high heat spray paint over that. maybe it'll take another 10 years for them to rust over again.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
Do it yourself :yes: Sand paper wire brush some good old POR-15 and a oven.

Kids these days! SHHHHHH! :D

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
My headers are in great working condition but they are rusty. No holes or anything like that.

I talked to a guy about sand blasting them but he wants $100.00

Can i just treat the rust with rust mort and paint them with a high heat paint afterward or will the rust come through all of that? What can i do for under the cost of just getting a new set?

Thanks
If they are one the car and rusty You can run the car heat them up and coat them with Used tranny fluid. Reheat. and They won't rust for sometime. I have done this many times. Long before coatings ever came around.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Sand them, ospho them and then paint them. Heating them up in short cycles several times.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If they are one the car and rusty You can run the car heat them up and coat them with Used tranny fluid. Reheat. and They won't rust for sometime. I have done this many times. Long before coatings ever came around.

I've never heard of this method but i'll keep it in mind. I took them off the car yesterday though. I'll try that if the rust comes back.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Had to same problem on my last 72 blasted them and painted with high temp paint, paint burned off and rust came back so went and bought new ones. You might be better off buying new ones, or you can always wrap them.
Last 25 years or so I have only ran the coated headers, well except on the last motorcycle. :D:yes:

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
what's "ospho"?
It's a phosphoric acid stuff the auto parts sells and also paint stores. It goes by a few different names with Oshpo being one and it's a green liquid. I have used it on a couple of auto bodys before I painted them and also on some metal fabrication stuff before paint.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
It's a phosphoric acid stuff the auto parts sells and also paint stores. It goes by a few different names with Oshpo being one and it's a green liquid. I have used it on a couple of auto bodys before I painted them and also on some metal fabrication stuff before paint.
Don't know what the Oshpo stuff costs, but if it's just phosphoric acid, compare it to the stuff you can get at Home Depot for cleaning concrete. It's just phosphoric acid as well, comes in a gallon jug, and cost about $15. I've used it on lots of parts, and if they are left in the solution long enough, it will remove *all* the rust.

From what I've read, you're really between a rock and a hard place with headers. No matter what you do to them, they're either going to discolor or rust. Even the ceramic coatings supposedly turn ugly after a few years. The only solution I found was going with stainless steel. These will turn slightly, but not rust. They're also outrageously expensive. If you don't mind re-treating and re-painting your headers periodically, the acid will probably be the cheapest way to go.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts