103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MyVIN is 116356W140199. I know:

1 = Chevrolet
16 = V8
35 = wagon
6 = 1966
W = Willow Grove
140199 = Sequence number (starting with 100000)

My question when was the car built ? I believe about 140,000 Chevy II/Novas were manufactured in 1966. How accurately can I determine actual build date ?

Thanks,
Ron

·
13,706 Posts
Ron, it's almost impossible to get an accurate build date through a VIN. You can get close by looking at the body build date on your cowl tag. It's usually on the left hand side near the top and will be three letters/numbers. Example: 03D which is March 4th week. This is the Fisher Body date the body was assembled. The completed car probably rolled off the Chevrolet assembly line within a few days of this date.

You may also be able to get the exact build date and dealer name through the NCRS (National Corvette Restorers Society). They have info for other makes in addition to Corvettes.

Bob

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
like bob said above you can send to NCRS, i did that an cost was 50.00. i got the exact date my 66 was made an also the dealship it was shipped to. i found from them it was shipped to rapid city south dakota. but the dealership there had no info on record anymore. an i sent to the DMV in s dakota an they had no info anymore. an now the car is in michigan.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts