Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up a 4 door 66 sedan that I had planned on keeping in its original 6cyl form. Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll......................... It all started with a late night, I couldn't sleep and now I'm knees deep in a LS6/4L60E swap.
I'm at the point now where I'm going to swap in a 9inch or build the 10bolt for damn near the same.

I dont want to spend all the time and money doing a mini tub and would just like to get the thing on the road. My plans are putting a limited slip diff, 373 gears and a set of caltracs under it along with the best rubber I can wrap around some 18x8 wheels. How bad will the tire spin be on this car? Is it worth even doing a build with these parts since I'm not adding to the size of my tires to put more rubber on the road?

Motor was going to stay stock but then I ended up doing a small cam, fast intake and CBR headers. Transmission is built and has a 3000 stall.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Do you put the pedal to the floor at every green light?

Drive like a normal person and you won't have a problem. You won't be lighting up the tires with every little blip of the throttle.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
What is this "normal person"?
Please define. ;)

So, we're looking at something making roughly 380-420 HP, with similar torque figures, in a 1.5 ton vehicle...?
I'd say you'll be just fine until you WANT it to spin. It should move itself well, without being brutal, uncontrollable, or always on the verge of traction loss.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Normal person: Not nailing the throttle at every stop sign, red light,and every other chance you get...I think.
Well, my sons not normal! :no:
I don't know where he got it from tho? :rolleyes: :D
As was mentioned earlier, just take it easy.
My son has 600hp and I honestly don't know what my 406 made but would/will smoke the tires at 45/50 mph and click of 10sec timeslips.
8" 5000 converter.
Just because it will do it doesn't me ya have too! :no:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Well, my sons not normal! :no:
I don't know where he got it from tho? :rolleyes: :D
As was mentioned earlier, just take it easy.
My son has 600hp and I honestly don't know what my 406 made but would/will smoke the tires at 45/50 mph and click of 10sec timeslips.
8" 5000 converter.
Just because it will do it doesn't me ya have too! :no:
Yes you do! :yes:

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
There's a lot of factors to consider.. The stickier the tire the better they bite.. When they do bite other factors come into play. Axle wrap and chassis flex are probably the most significant concerns to address. You indicate that Caltracks are in the plans so that puts chassis flex on the next thing to deal with at a minimum find some subframe connectors and put them in. This will minimize the stress you will be putting into the chassis and they actually provide really good results for cars that do not get driven hard.. The more you stabilize the chassis the better the suspen system will be able do its job.. It's a remarkable and fairly simple improvement..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts