Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know alot of us are thinking about doing an LS swap, but can't afford a 5.7, 6.0 or 6.2L.
Are you satisfied with power output with or without cam up grade?
Anything else we might need to know?

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
A stock L33 (HO 5.3) with just a tune and headers puts out between 375 and 400 crank HP. So am I satisfied? :yes: but might I want a little more later on? :yes:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Buy a wrecked trans am, camaro, escalade, truck and pull what you need and sell the rest of the parts then haul it away. I made $600 on my ls1 swap but I had to do all the work-pulling, listing, and selling. I could have made more as the brakes, rear, abs etc.. were still in the car when I had it hauled away. If I was doing it again on a budget I would do it the same way...If you look at my build you will see that the car "looked" like junk but I still sold almost $2k from the "junk" in the less than 2 weeks mostly on ls1 tech

·
Registered
670 Posts
My build started as a 5.3 but when i brought it to the machine shop they had an lq4 sitting there and they said for an additional 300 they would build that instead. So i sold my Lm7 for 300 and when they ordered the rebuild kit they ordered the one for the Lq9. So for no more money i went from Lm7 to LQ9. there are many ways to get what you want.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My build started as a 5.3 but when i brought it to the machine shop they had an lq4 sitting there and they said for an additional 300 they would build that instead. So i sold my Lm7 for 300 and when they ordered the rebuild kit they ordered the one for the Lq9. So for no more money i went from Lm7 to LQ9. there are many ways to get what you want.
From a LM7 to a LQ9 for 300 bucks?! That's an incredible score!

I think a 5.3 liter will be plenty powerful. If you want more power down the line slip in a cam and have it reflashed. You be hanging right there with the LS1 guys.

There's a good article in Super Chevy about them building a "modern mouse". It's worth a read.

·
Registered
14 Posts
after you get tired of the 5.3 in there just throw a nice sized turbo in the mix.. with the right tune and supporting mods you could make some serious hp!

·
Registered
275 Posts
The L33 was rated for 315 HP. Thats only 10 HP less than the LS1 was rated when it was first put into F-body cars. It also responds very well to a cam upgrade/reflash. Another 50 HP can be found there without going very big on the cam.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
I know alot of us are thinking about doing an LS swap, but can't afford a 5.7, 6.0 or 6.2L.
Are you satisfied with power output with or without cam up grade?
Anything else we might need to know?
I'll let you know in about 3 months. I'm putting the L33 in my blue coupe. Having driven both, you won't be regretting the 5.3 swap. A previously stated, a stock LS6 cam and a LS6 intake will really wake this engine up.

The 5.3, aluminum or iron block is a nice choice for a good reliable engine package. The beauty is, they are very plentiful and a wide variety of cost, mostly based on mileage....

T,

·
Registered
850 Posts
I used the LQ4 motor as well LS3 heads and intake and bored it out 30 over put a stroker kit in it and made 465 to the wheels!

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm Lovin' it!

I completed my carb'd junkyard 5.3 Nova swap about 3 months and 1300 miles ago and I love it! Smooth, fast and fun. People get a real kick out of it at shows as they almost walk straight by it and then turn around to ask questions. I also get a kick out of confusing the nimrod kids at the parts store when I tell them I need a ______ for a 1973 5.3L engine :devil:

The 100% stock engine makes excellent power. Lots of fun to drive on the streets, cook the meats at will. Fast enough to get me a $140 ticket 2 nights after completion. At the track it ran a 14.3 and trapped 100MPH. Keep in mind that is with a 2.73 open diff and street tires. AND a very rookie driver. With better gears, posi, tires and a little experience I think 13.5 would be possible. BTW, a trap of 100MPG is about 300WHP. Not bad for $275 engine!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have had my 5.3 done for a month now with 750 miles. Love it put down 300 whp and is smooth and reliable. Can't wait to do another.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
489 Posts
I completed mine last week and finally took it for a trip to a family BBQ 100 miles away from home. Love it on the freeway! I need the guy that flashed the PCM to email me back, he changed some things that I specifically said that I needed...my TCC won't engage unless I command it on with the scan tool. And he went too far with adjusting the VE tables. I got roughly about 22.5 mpg on that trip, but it was also still adjusting the fuel trims the whole time, I watched it the whole time and fuel trims were always negative 3-5% and now long term fuel trims sit at 0% and short term fuel trim jumps positive/negative 2-3% (rich, lean, rich, lean, rich, lean).

·
Registered
257 Posts
:eek: 100mpg! WHAT ARE YOUR SECRETS! :D
My secret is to put the "G" right next to the "H". And type really fast! :D

what alternator bracket is that ?
If you are talking about my engine compartment pic then that is a .75" steel bracket I came up with to mount the an F-body alt bracket. I had to come up with something since I was using a truck water pump and no power steering.

Though now that my arms are roughly the size of popeye I am regretting removing the power steering and plan to convert back in the near future. Like over winter!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts