Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1978, i've been in kinda a planning stage of what i want to do, so far after body work i want to paint it dark flat black, crome trim/ rims(thinking slotted mags or classic Craigers, unless some one has a better idea???), 3 1/2'' cowl hood, 3'' side pipes(chromed of coarse eh???), but i feel the rear end is missing out. what is there to really do to the rear half of the car, nothing obnoxious, no spoilers/wings lol, unless it actually looks clean and fits the car which i havent seen. But any ideas or suggestions along the lines of a visual mod to make the car look better then original lol eh just throw out any ideas just to get laughs too haha

·
Registered
1,149 Posts

I always thought side window slats like a 78 road runner would look cool, but I think the side pipes and flat black paint is lame. Maybe a camaro style spoiler wouldnt be too gaudy.
-DD

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I always thought side window slats like a 78 road runner would look cool, but I think the side pipes and flat black paint is lame. Maybe a camaro style spoiler wouldnt be too gaudy.
-DD
REALLY? a nice dark flat satin black such as.....with 3'' crome side pipes, and crome trim? i guess personally i think its a badA$$ scheme, not to flashy but just good solid mean looking muscle car, but about the rear of the car... i'm trying to figure out something cool and unique, i was hoping someone would have a cool idea, anything guys?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
72 not a 78.

That '72? looks great.
Satin is not flat black imho. You originaly said "dark flat black"
Side pipes are too gaudy 1970's corvettey and looks like a "JC Whitney/autozone" parts catalogly car to me.
I think a satin black 68-72 looks okay, when I see a flat black/satin 75+ I always think meth-mobile - you would have to lay it super smooth to break that cliche for me. I have nothing but love for 4th gen cars, i think they look pretty good leaving well enough alone. I think lowered a couple inches, nice paint and wheels, and maybe some rally stripes and you would have a winner.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha uh yeah i feel stupid now, funny you caught that. But yes exactly, i know what you mean but i don't care for that side pipe. I1 kinda have a vision that i see looking sweet, maybe when i'm done i can post a pic if it works out like i want it too. Mainly i was wondering what are some cool "mods" that have been done or ideas for the rear part of the car. Some reason the rear end of the 4th gens just seems to need something different. Nothing goofy, but just cool, clean and different that you usually don't see

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Here's mine in matte black

I had a 78 with cragars and it didnt look right, slots are cool but only on the right year, chrome rallys would work nice for that look with a 2" cowl and a rear spoiler like the ones on a 85 T/A. just my 2 cents, heres a pic of mine for some ideas

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's exactly what i'm not going to do, but i think tight up against the bottom, 3'' clean and smooth all down the side would look pretty cool?? I swear i'm the only one that thinks if done right could be pretty cool? Feel alone on this one lol I'm hoping it'll turn out right

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
There are only 3 cars that I'm aware of that look "cool" with sidepipes:

1. 1967 Corvette
2. Early year (1994-1996) Vipers
3. Shelby Cobra

I'm not sure if these cars are really even "cool" with the sidepipes, but at least they get an exemption because their pipes came from the factory.

I'm not saying it's necessarily "right" or "wrong" to have the sidepipes, but unless you're going for a 1970s period-correct car, you might want to prepare for some ridicule. Having a different look doesn't always equate to having a good look to your car. I just don't think the sidepipes will have a positive impact on the overall look of your car.

Spoilers - one word, three times. SUBTLE, SUBTLE, SUBTLE. Think first generation Camaro. Short spoiler, just coming off the back of the trunk, turned up no more than 3 inches. Just kinda blends in with the car. Some folks even mold them into the trunk. I've actually seen a few of these on Novas and I think they really work, but it's because you have to do a double take to even notice that it's there. Anything more than that starts looking ridiculous. Again, unless you're shooting for late-70's period correct.

Flat black - I'm a big fan of flat black (Satin Black)on certain cars, but be forewarned on this, most of the time people will just mistake you for having an unfinished project that you're driving around in primer. It's hard for the casual observer to tell the difference between satin black and black primer. You'll spend a lot of time telling people the difference (which is OK, if that's what you really want to do).

Those of us that live in the 4th Gen world can attest - there are already plenty of 78s running around in primer. If you're going Satin Black, black bumpers, black wheels, dark tint (murdered out) - now that's sinister. If you're not going that far, Satin Black just looks unfinished. It's a subtle difference, but one that does matter, I think.

Good luck with your build. If you're happy with how it turns out, what we think about it doesn't matter anyway.

J

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha yeah i have to agree with everything you said to be honest, defiantly not going to murder out my nova lol But infact i'm just pointing out that side pipe looks ridiculous on that. But since i can't quiet make a perfect pro touring build i was hoping maybe a junkyard, rough looking muscle car( For now atleast) something simple i can do, nothing extremely fancy, like that orange and silver showoff :D:D:D maybe someday, never know lol. but i guess i was looking to responses to my ideas, i got them lol haha hopefully i
n acouple months i can post pics and get some Eh! that looks pretty cool:rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts