Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok im sorry if this is considered a repost but i had another question. I had been in the middle of hooking up my cd player when the hot n ground wire touched blowing the radio fuse. well i changed the radio fuse and yet there isnt any power going to the cd player. What else is in there that i could have blown? I know the player itself isnt toasted because i hooked it to a lawn mower battery and it powered up.Its the only thing holding me back right now and i have no idea what to do. Again sorry for repost.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
follow the power wire to its source. it's probably protected by a fuse in yer fuse panel... and that one is more than likely blown too, resulting in the dead wire...

maybe ???

hope i helped :D

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Like Flyer said.

You may have to run a separate wire off the fuse block if for some reason you still can't get the player to power up.

Either that, or you'll be the envy of the block with a lawn tractor CD system!
Mounting the speakers may be a prob. I'd go head-set though. ;)

Just havin' fun....:rolleyes:

You'll get her squared away. :)

·
6,497 Posts
99.9% of the wires in a vehicle are crimped onto connectors and there is more than one connection between the fuse block and the wire at the radio. Crimped on connections have a better chance of failure than soldered ones and age and enviroment have a lot to do with how fast or slow a crimp connection will deteriorate.
Since the fuse was blown and it was replaced it's possible this short stressed a crimp connection somehwere to where it might have been marginal before but now the electricity cannot flow through the junction.
Take a test light and check both sides of the fuse to verify you have power, then check the wire end you wire connected to. If the fuse has power on both sides but not the wire end then there is a break somewhere between those two points. Find the wire off of the back of the fuse block off of that fuse and poke through the insulation and see if you have power. If so go further away towards the wire end you were connected into. Eventually you will find the break.
Sometimes too I have worked on live circuits and been startled by the sparks and pulled away and maybe you have partially unplugged a connector somewhere or pulled a wire loose.
I have also seen through the years using a meter it may show 12 volts on a circuit but once some current is pulled through it the voltage goes away.
Yes you can go directly to the fuse block and get power for your radio but I wonder what else might be on that dead circuit that no longer works.
Jim

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everything is working besides the cd player (of course). I guess i got some heavy tape cutting to do. Every single clusted of wire is tape VERY HEAVILY in great lengths so tracing that wire may be difficult...but ima do it!

·
6,497 Posts
Hold off on cutting any wire wraps just yet.

Just out of curiosity do you have a yellow wire off of the new CD radio, a red wire off of the new CD radio, and a black wire off of the new CD radio ?.

Where exactly and to what colors are these wires hooked to in the car ?

At the radio opening in your car there is a 3 terminal plug with a gray, a black, and a yellow wire in it. The yellow off of the car DOES NOT connect to the yellow on your new CD radio. The red wire off of your new radio will connect to the yellow wire in the cars radio harness, the black will connect to black and the yellow wire off of your new CD radio can either be connected to the cigarette lighter wire (orange) or can be run to the fuse block. Some radio's will not work if there is no power on both the yellow and red wires.

The more I think about the problem you are having I'm wondering if it's something as simple as a hookup you have and everything is right on one circuit but we are troubleshooting the wrong one. In other words you blew the radio fuse in the fuse block but currently there might not be power on the second power wire of the radio and it does not work (when it was tested on the battery you should have had the yellow and red tied together and these two going to the positive post of the battery and the black to the negative).

Jim

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fixed. Somehow the radio fuse on the fuse block blew...again and i didnt find it till now. I have all the extra wiring from the old cd player removed and the new stuff taped up. Sounds great. Im glad to finnally have my stereo back. Thanx for the help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts