Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night after pulling down my driveway, I noticed a odd sound from under the car as I turned into the garage. Not sure what it was, I just checked my rear lug nuts to see if they were loose. Anyways,I noticed the rims were warm and out of curiousity touched the drums. Boy, they were hot,not just warm. I was thinking maybe I might of had the parking brake on slightly as I drove home. So this morning I jacked the car up to see if the wheels spun freely with the brakes off, and they did with just a little bit of drag. So tonight I dove it and came home and the drums were still pretty hot. What could cause this? Shouldnt there be a little drag when spinning the wheel by hand? Would this create this much heat? Is this normal? Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,684 Posts
Did you pull the drums off? What do the shoes look like? Unusual wear or discoloration of the drums inside? All the springs in place? Did you ever do a brake job on the rear? How thick are the drums compaired to the stock thickness?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didnt pull the drums yet. I redid the brakes and wheel cylinders last year. Still have to look.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
just had that happen to me after i redid the brakes last year and found that my bonded brake shoes fell off and then replaced them with rivited and they were still hot so had to pull the wheels and readjust the self adjusters again, so check your rears you have a simular problem.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I pulled the drum, and re-adjusted it a little. It wasnt too bad to begin with. I noticed that it looked like the top 1-2" of the front shoe pad was wearing, as it maybe they were too thick.??? They look like they are seated correctly. And when I first replaced the shoes, it wasnt hard to put on the drum afterwards.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
In the 70's I worked at a wheel and tire place; we would pick up some new cars from dealers and add custom wheels. One day we picked up a few foreign sporty cars....after only about a 4 mile drive (at a bit over the speed limit!) we couldn't even touch the wheels for about an hour!! Brakes get hot when you use them--even hotter when a lunatic is behind the wheel:devil:

·
Premium Member
3,684 Posts
I pulled the drum, and re-adjusted it a little. It wasnt too bad to begin with. I noticed that it looked like the top 1-2" of the front shoe pad was wearing, as it maybe they were too thick.??? They look like they are seated correctly. And when I first replaced the shoes, it wasnt hard to put on the drum afterwards.
If everything looks ok, adjustments good and the drums were not machined beyond there limit all you have is a normal hot brake drum. If they were cool I'd be concerned!:D

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, maybe they are OK now. Its just that the rear drums were hotter than the fronts,which I thought should of been the other way around.Thanks for your input guys.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts