Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had problems with my car not starting after running it for 20 minutes or so. Tried the heat shield over the starter. Worked, sort of.

Put an external starter solenoid on, wired it up and during the cruise yesterday, started great all day. Put about 150 miles on, stopped about 5 times, traffic, freeway all kinds of driving.

Simple cheap fix.

ray:yes:

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Ray

Out of curiosity which way did you wire the solenoid? I've seen two.

One where the positive battery cable is connected to the same side of solenoid as the large starter wire, essentially keeping the large starter wire hot at all times (which doesn't seem to make sense to me)

Then another where the large starter wire runs from the opposite post of the remote solenoid as the main battery positive wire and then a small jumper is used down at the starter to power the "s" terminal. (makes more sense becuase all wires going to starter are cold unless key is turned to start.

Just curious which people are using.

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Then another where the large starter wire runs from the opposite post of the remote solenoid as the main battery positive wire and then a small jumper is used down at the starter to power the "s" terminal. (makes more sense becuase all wires going to starter are cold unless key is turned to start.

I have mine wired this way for over 10 years and have had no problems.

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought the kit from Summit, because electrical stuff scares me.

The kit had a jumper cut out of aluminum that connected the battery terminal to the "S" terminal on the starter. The battery terminal wire from the starter now ends at the solenoid and the ignition wire from the key now ends at the solinoid. The only thing not included was an extra battery cable from the battery to the solinoid. Took me about a half hour to do it and works like a charm.

Ray

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
yes, I love remote solenoids.

cheap way to do this is to go to the junkyard and spend $1 on a solenoid from a ford. I have the three point one and it works great

then you can make the jumper wire from sheet aluminum. it takes 5 minutes if you do it slowly lol.

also pick up a short length of battery cable from a truck while at the junkyard. mine conveniently came with the ends on there already so i didnt need to spend $3 on cable lugs

so, for about $5 and gas money to the yard, one can convert ones car to remote start solenoid.

·
Premium Member
4,554 Posts
Ray

Just curious which people are using.
In some cases this can cause what's known as "starter run on". Had my high torque wired this way, no problem, put the LS in with a stock starter, and it wouldn't disengage when the key was released, swapped to switching the "S" terminal, problem solved....

T,

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Great to see a lot of people adopting this. The hot start problem has embarrased me at a couple of redlights(when I had the edel carb that would die under braking)

Not a good feeling

·
Registered
71 Posts
Permanent magnet starters run on.

As TomM stated adding a remote solenoid to some hi-torque starters or a factory style permanent magnet starter can cause run on if jumpered at the starter solenoid itself. The starter will actually produce enough back current to keep the solenoid engaged too long and will eventually eat up your starter gear or the flywheel as it did on my BBC. Learned the hard way. Changing starter - no problem. Changing flywheel PITA!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts