Chevy Nova Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks a lot for all of the input. I was hoping it was something simple. Like I said earlier the car starts easily when cold and runs great. It is just annoying trying to restart it when it's warmed up.
HELLO,

I have had the same problem and seem to have found my culprit. First I replace the underside battery and it did help. A new starter improved the problem ,but it did not go away. The thing I found is the location of the starter in relation to my headers. A quick start mimicked the problem you have , but when cold after sat for awhile it seemed to be fine.
I found a couple of exhaust wraps at Summit, and from what I read there is a paint for the headers / exhaust, There is also a blanket for the starter. I run the car cold 165 and seems happy, I assume the exhaust is still about 450 t0 500 f.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
HELLO,

I have had the same problem and seem to have found my culprit. First I replace the underside battery and it did help. A new starter improved the problem ,but it did not go away. The thing I found is the location of the starter in relation to my headers. A quick start mimicked the problem you have , but when cold after sat for awhile it seemed to be fine.
I found a couple of exhaust wraps at Summit, and from what I read there is a paint for the headers / exhaust, There is also a blanket for the starter. I run the car cold 165 and seems happy, I assume the exhaust is still about 450 t0 500 f.
Thank you for the input. My engine spins over just fine. Just wont fire without pumping the gas many times. Like it is out of gas or been sitting for a long time. I just changed the thermostat from a 180 degree to a 160 degree. I'll drive it today and see it that makes any difference.

·
Registered
36 Posts
18 degrees static is a lot for a 34 degree total timing setup IMO. I’d stay with ported vacuum, I dislike the retard during acceleration you get with direct vacuum. I’d play with the warm idle settings a bit. I’ve also run into engines with a few miles on them that made a little less vacuum cranking warm and that caused issues.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks. I haven't touched the timing. Seems like the engine runs strong the way it is, except for the restarting issue. Once it does start it runs just fine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks. I haven't touched the timing. Seems like the engine runs strong the way it is, except for the restarting issue. Once it does start it runs just fine.
have tried pumping the gas pedal once then wait for the fuel to turn to vapor then start?...give it a squirt wait 5 sec then turn it over?

21 - 26 of 26 Posts