Chevy Nova Forum banner

41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Picked my engine up today from the dyno tuner's and have done the first oil change to make sure I got the oil out which had the moly lube in it. Not sure if you guys know, but the moly can block up the oil filters if left in for a little while. Had it happen to me when I was a young fella in high school with my old ford falcon.

Oh and here is the other dyno sheet.

·
Registered
20,113 Posts
Picked my engine up today from the dyno tuner's and have done the first oil change to make sure I got the oil out which had the moly lube in it. Not sure if you guys know, but the moly can block up the oil filters if left in for a little while. Had it happen to me when I was a young fella in high school with my old ford falcon.
Yes moly lube doens't break down. I change the oil filter after 30 minutes and top off the oil.

·
Registered
142 Posts

Oh and here is the other dyno sheet.

Looks like it made pretty good power! I am wondering what oil pan you used and how much oil was in it? I ask this because it appears the pressure was on a steady decline as the RPM increased.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Just a few more pics of the progress

Looks like it made pretty good power! I am wondering what oil pan you used and how much oil was in it? I ask this because it appears the pressure was on a steady decline as the RPM increased.
yea I was wondering about the oil pressure drop off but was thinking it was the bypass valve in the pump.

I did get around to resting the engine down on the subframe today..... still mounted to the stand it I feel its safe to unbolt it. I wanted to check the clearance between the frame and the headers and oil pan
just in case I needed to make some changes...... but all was good :)

:beer::usa::australia:

Oh and the top half of my new tool box got delivered this week. Now to the wife's dismay, I have room to buy more tools ;)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Not much has been happening lately. I dropped off my old radiator to Paul Weel Racing and they are going to build me a custom one to suit my big block as the radiator that came out was for a sbc. Should be pretty nice when it's done. I just want to be able to fire up the engine while its sitting out of th car so that it doesn't become rusty or sticky as i don't know how long it is going to take me to build the car.

Also would you guys suggest poly frame mounts or solids?

Oh and hopefully i will be getting the body blasted and primed in 2 weeks. Then the rust repairs start..

:usa:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Well long story short, my 72 nova had a 307 sb when it cam out from the factory. Since that time it has had a few owners and when I received the car it had a 454bb out of a 83' chev truck. Also the auto trans had been changed for a 4spd m22.

Needless to say, its the perfect car for a resto-mod build. I rebuilt the 454 into a 496 and I haven't yet decided on the trans but thinking either a T56 magnum or a TKO 600. But yea..... that will all come in time.

Since the car now has a high performance big block, the old small block radiator just won't handle the heat of the engine and the Australian climate.

So I've been trolling the web and looking at some forums to see what other have done. I've been looking for a complete unit (i.e. fans and shroud ) that would fit the stock small black radiator support. Most of the stuff I found said it fit both supports. Others only fit the big block support.

Having trouble making a decision and need more information, I took a 10 min drive and went over to see the boys at PWR. I had a chat with them to see what they suggested and ended up buying a custom built unit that will do the job and then some.

The radiator they are making for me is a twin 68mm tube design with dual maradyne 1565cfm electric fans and a custom shroud. I should have it in my hands by next weekend.

Not sure if you guys have ever heard of PWR but they make radiators for NASCAR and lots of other motorsports.

If you guys are considering doing a engine swap or upgrade I would say these guys are certainly worth a look. Its not often you can find a shop like this that will deal with the public.

Here's a link to a short youtube clip and their website..... I will also be posting this to my build thread.

Cheers,

Justin

:usa::pirate::australia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGaNrz3QECc

www.pwr.com.au

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Body and seats

Today I send the body out to be media blasted along with the doors, hood, and trunk lid. I'm planning on buying new front quarters and fender wells.

It'll be good to see how much rust is actually in the body and the blasting sure beats doing it by hand.

Here is a few pictures of my seats before and after.

Finally starting to see more progress!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Been an interesting week with work and all. Weather here has been a bit rainy as well, but I was able to take my Nova body up to the panel/paint shop last monday. Since the weather is a bit better now, they should be able to get started on it this week.

I am first having the car stripped and primed/sealed before getting any of the rust repairs done. Unfortunately I'm great with mechanical repairs but piss poor at body work. So I am getting a mate to help me with that :)

Also should have my new radiator on tuesday..... can't wait for it to show up.

Here are a few pics of the car before the body work is being done and I'll post some more when it has been complete. Oh, I forgot to mention but I do plan on painting the car myself. Originally was going to go bright green but have been thinking of silver..... and making it look really deep with high gloss clear.

Comments are welcome and appreciated :thumbsup:

FIRST COUPLE OF PICTURES ARE WHEN I FIRST GOT MY NOVA A YEAR AGO.

This was just the beginning.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
So while the the body is away I thought it might be a good idea to have a quick fire up of my little ol' 496. I had changed the oil just after the dyno back in december. Its been sitting for a couple months. And well I don't like to leave my engines sitting around and to getting some use. I had some custom battery cables made up and got a Optima red top 34/78 with a 1000 ca and man that cranks the engine over quick. I primed the carb, hooked up the ignition and run it for about 20 seconds or so. I think I will do this once every couple weeks till the car is all together. I should have the radiator all bolted in in the next couple weeks. Here's a short video of it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
So after a few weeks of research I found that I should be running a bypass hose from the intake to the waterpump. So I came up with this setup as it was the easiest routeing due to the angles and distance.

If you drill a few small bypass holes in your thermostat you can eliminate the bypass hose all together. You can even buy the thermostat already drilled from Stewart/Robertshaw. I did this on mine a while ago with no problems afterwards.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
So after a few weeks of research I found that I should be running a bypass hose from the intake to the waterpump. So I came up with this setup as it was the easiest routeing due to the angles and distance.

If you drill a few small bypass holes in your thermostat you can eliminate the bypass hose all together. You can even buy the thermostat already drilled from Stewart/Robertshaw. I did this on mine a while ago with no problems afterwards.
I thought about drilling the hole but decided against it, as the bypass hose would help keep the water pump from cavitating. And provides better flow.

41 - 60 of 97 Posts