Chevy Nova Forum banner

21 - 40 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Does anybody anywhere believe this is going to be a "daily driver"?
Unless of course it is being driven to a track on a daily basis.
I can tell you from my build with todays advancement's in technology and equipment not only are these builds daily driveable but they are also very reliable. The engine i pulled from my car was built by the PO and was a assortment of "performance parts" no thought was given to the package as a whole or the finished combination. My engine builder and myself put together a plan and a combination that all works together and the results speak for them selves. Have a plan and follow it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
"what is the specs on that cam your running."

I really shouldn't let that information out without the engine builders consent as he is the one that spec'd it with the cam builder.

I can tell you to give Chris Straub a call at Straub Technologies and discuss your plans with him, he has a excellent reputation in the world of BBC builds as a camshaft designer. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
"what is the specs on that cam your running."

I really shouldn't let that information out without the engine builders consent as he is the one that spec'd it with the cam builder.

I can tell you to give Chris Straub a call at Straub Technologies and discuss your plans with him, he has a excellent reputation in the world of BBC builds as a camshaft designer. Hope this helps.
All good buddy. Just was curious on the amount of lift is all. Mine is running a .578 lift. And 10.3:1 compression.

I'll be extremely happy if I get even close to the numbers you're getting out of yours.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Engine

So there has been a little bit of progress this week.

Measure the piston to valve clearance and have heaps ( a lot )
Also measure the pushrod length. So hopefully I got that right. The roll pattern is right in the middle of the valve tips. and only .300" difference between rod lengths for intake and exhaust.

I'll finish installing the new pushrods and rockers this weekend. But here a mock up pic with the heads all torqued down.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Engine complete

Well its been a while since I last posted or had a chance to see what the rest of you boys have been up too.

So just a short update...... I completed my 496 after almost 9 months of fun ;)

I will hopefully have it on the engine dyno this dec if all goes well. Booked it in for the 15th. But anyways here are a few pics of it all done. Sorry if a couple are fuzzy.... took the pics late in the day

After I have the dyno done, the next plan of attack is to complete the front end and purchase a new transmission ( Tremec T-56 magnum)

·
Registered
20,113 Posts
Very nice, I could use one of those myself as I have two sets of tools. One set at home cause I don't want to have to run to the shop or see the shop after hours and one full set at work.

·
Registered
20,113 Posts
Are the "Span-on" boxes cheaper than Snap on's? :devil::D:D

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
The long wait for tomorrow to come

So tomorrow is the big day for me.... my 496 will be on the dyno and getting tuned. I'll post the results and video if all goes well ;) If there is any dramas or it blows up I'll post a pic of the case of beer I'll be drinking.

Wish me luck

Oh and is there any guesses on what power it will make?

·
Registered
20,113 Posts
Wishing you the best of luck with, but don't have a clue what it'll do.

After going back over your setup I'll go with 640 hp.

21 - 40 of 97 Posts