Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey my fellow nova buddies :)

I bought a 72 Nova about 10 months ago and had it shipped here to Australia where I now live (originally from cali). Long story short, I should have had it inspected by a good friend before I bought it.... ah well **** happens ;)

So now for the fun stuff. When I got the car, it didn't look to bad at all. But as I slowly disassembled it I found a lot of issue. Time for fun and mods!!!

I got the engine out first and it was a 1983 454ci. Not a bad starting point. The only parts I kept from the engine were the block and the oil pan. I've currently got the short block assembled and ready for the rest of the bits.

So far I have installed SRP forged 18cc dome pistons, scat forged H-beam stroker rods, scat 9000 series 4.25" crank, ARP main cap studs, comp cam 290HR cam, and calico bearings. I had the block sonic tested, then machined so that I have a zero deck height and the crank and cam journals are line honed for prefect bearing fitment. The rotating assembly has been fully balanced as well.

Well I decided to take a break from the engine side of thing and focus on the rear end. It had a 8.2" in it so well I decided to rebuild that. New 4.11 gears, eaton posi, strange custom made Hy-tuff racing axlesand diff cover with cap supports is all assemble at this point. Just need to get some Wilwood disc brakes and its all done. Oh and I am using 255/70-15 radial ta's on the back.

After a few months and not much time on my hands due to work, I conned a friend with a few beers to help me strip the Nova down to a bare shell. Bought a rotisserie and getting it all prepped and ready for sand blasting and primer before going to the body shop for minor rust repairs.

I've also had the front sub-frame powder coated along with the rear end.

I figure I should start finishing the engine now:devil: and order a new Tremec T56 magnum trans as I sold my old 4spd muncie.

Once I have the powertrain and suspension all done, I can the focus on the body. I think I am going to dummy assemble the car a few times so that I don't have to do any alterations after painting the car.

:salute::usa::australia:

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
What he said ^^^ :yes:
Very nicely done and I love that shop.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WOW:eek:

I mean wow... You are definitely doing it right. Keep up the good work and please add more pictures!!!
What he said ^^^ :yes:
Very nicely done and I love that shop.
Thanks fellas,

I'm doing my best to build one sweet nova. This car is going to be built as a daily driver with all the good mods. Might see the strip on occasion, but more for going to the drive in and cruising the highways.

I'll keep putting more pictures up. Hopefully this weekend I can purchase the heads. And build some new mounts for the rotisserie.

Oh and thanks for the comments on the shed...... It's my man cave but also where I work all day :)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Back to the engine

Thanks guys.... I'm doing my best to build one sweet Nova......

Good news today is that I was able to order my new RHS Pro Action 320cc AL heads and a Edelbrock RPM Air-gap intake.

The aim is 600-700hp and 550tq out of the engine.

So this is what my 496ci build sheet (parts list) is :

Block: 1983 GM 454 gen IV 2 bolt main 9.8 deck fully machined and sonic tested
Crank: Scat 9000 series 4.250 stroke fully balanced
Rods: Scat forge H-beam 6.385" ARP hardware
Pistons: SRP 4.310" dia and 18cc dome
Bearings: Calico race spec
Cam: Comp cams 290HR with 290 dur. and .578 lift
Timing set: Comp Hi-tech
Lifters: Comp short travel racing
Rockers: Comp XD Magnums
Pushrods: Trend 3/8" magnum
Heads: Edelbrock Victor Jr 300cc
Intake: Edelbrock RPM Air-gap
Carb: Quick Fuel Q-series 950cfm
Ignition: MSD 6al with pro billet distributor
water pump: Edelbrock Performance seires
Fuel pump: Performer RPM 130GPH

I have the short block built at the current moment and hopefully will have it all together and on the dyno before xmas...... just waiting for the last few parts to show up ;) :devil::D

Thoughts?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update 12/9/14

Well unfortunately I've been flat out at work, but the good news is more money for the Nova :)

Just last night I ordered a bunch more parts for my engine, so will hopefully have it up and running and on the dyno before the end of the year.

I'll post some more pics when the goodies arrive and I do the final assembly.

:salute::usa::australia:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yay for parts :)

So I've made a few purchases recently, while I am still waiting for my RHS heads to show up. 2 month back order. No biggy.

Parts that arrived so far are the lifters, rockers, fuel pump,valve covers, water pump, dissy, and carby. I had my new intake manifold anodized black. Thought it would be better than powder coating

Thought I would share a few pics.
Plan on having it on the engine dynoed by xmas

Also was wonder what you guys have paid for a day for an engine dyno?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its looking good. Looks like a nice shop as well.
Thanks man.... I try to have a nice clean work shop. Customers don't like to bring their motorcycles into a dirty shop ;)

You are going to love that carb, i had a 489 built this past winter when we put it on the dyno it had the holley 870 avenger on it. 526 hp. The engine builder swapped out the holley for a QFT 1050 he had and it made 627 HP!!!!!! Guess what carb is on it now, looks like your build is progressing nicely. Good luck
Those are some impressive numbers for a carb swap and tune. What else is done to your 489?

·
Registered
309 Posts
454 .030 over,scat stroker crank and I-beam rods,mahle pistons, custom hyd roller cam, morel lifters, comp ultra rockers. 781 heads 2.19-1.88 stainless valves ported and gasket matched to rpm air gap. Also put a gear vendors overdrive in.Awesome street engine REALLY moves the nova. Took it on the last three legs of power tour and knocked down 18 mpg!

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Thanks man.... I try to have a nice clean work shop. Customers don't like to bring their motorcycles into a dirty shop ;)
Any old school Honda 750 K models or Kawasaki KZs? I have done a lot of those Hondas and a few KZs. :yes:

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Daily Driver?

Does anybody anywhere believe this is going to be a "daily driver"?
Unless of course it is being driven to a track on a daily basis.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
454 .030 over,scat stroker crank and I-beam rods,mahle pistons, custom hyd roller cam, morel lifters, comp ultra rockers. 781 heads 2.19-1.88 stainless valves ported and gasket matched to rpm air gap. Also put a gear vendors overdrive in.Awesome street engine REALLY moves the nova. Took it on the last three legs of power tour and knocked down 18 mpg!

Wow! thats awesome .... what is the specs on that cam your running. I'm hoping for those kinda numbers out of my 496.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
AWESOME build!!!!
Some day I will take mine apart and go thru it like you are doing yours
thanks smackvay.... I really can't wait till its done :) Then I can spend time out on the road.

Does anybody anywhere believe this is going to be a "daily driver"?
Unless of course it is being driven to a track on a daily basis.
Why can't it be a daily driver? I'm going to use it for picking up parts for work and weekly hot rod meets along with a few classic car shows. Its never been the plan to make it a drag car..... just something that can get up and go :)

Any old school Honda 750 K models or Kawasaki KZs? I have done a lot of those Hondas and a few KZs. :yes:
I like the old school stuff but we don't work on it in our shop. We mostly do late model stuff.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts