Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think you guys could estimate how much horse power my 383 is going to make.

350 block .030 over

scat 400 crank

gm "x" rods

trw flat top pistons approx 11.2;1 compression

Edelbrock alluminum heads
SB-Chevy 302-400ci Performer RPM Aluminum Cylinder Head
170cc Intake Ports
64cc Combustion Chambers
2.020''/1.600'' Valves
1.460'' Valve Springs, .575'' Max Lift
3/8'' Rocker Studs
Straight Plug

Edelbrock camshaft
Operating Range 1500-6500 RPM
Duration Advertised 308° Intake/318° Exhaust
Duration @ .050'' 234° Intake/244° Exhaust
Lift @ Valve .488'' Intake/.510'' Exhaust
Lift @ Cam .325'' Intake/.340'' Exhaust
Lobe Separation Angle 112°
Intake Centerline 107°
Intake Timing @ .050" Open 10° BTDC
Close 44° ABDC
Exhaust Timing @ .050" Open 59° BBDC
Close 5° ATDC

Edelbrock RPM air gap intake

Holly 650 double pumper (I had built specifically for this motor)

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok what would be holding it back from having more the cam??

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
That camshaft is a great cam for those heads, I ran that setup for a couple of years. If anything I would have dropped the compression a little bit, more around 9.5 or 10:1.

I never try to give HP estimates... to many variables including machine work and assembly techniques. But you will have fun with that setup. :yes:

Tg

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No doubt it will be more fun to drive more fun than the 140 hp the 350 2bbrl manages to wheeze out now. I was just hoping for more. It's edelbrocks 410hp topend kit, they rated it on a zz350 I was hoping for alittle more with the 383 and 11:1 but it should still be fun and I can spray it if need be.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And I will be assembling the motor myself which should be alot of fun

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
That set up should make around 400 HP with a 350. Your 383 should bump that up a bit. My guess would be closer to 425.

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
that is a nice street cam.. your combo will be a lot of fun on the street. and the cam likes the funny gas!!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah shoud be fun dad and I are also building the motor so that should be fun too I also hope to swap the th350 for a 4 speed while doing the swap, should make the camaro more fun

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Thats almost the exact engine I have. Mine is topped off with the eddy pro-flow injection. But all the other parts are pretty close. And the setup I have was dyno'ed by eddy at around 425 for the same build, diff engine, not mine. They didnt have 6 inch rods or 1.6 rocker ratio but I dont see that hurting or gaining anything worth talking about.

Mine is very close to yours, 355, scat crank and forged rods but in 6 inch, and my rockers are 1.6 ratio. I have flat manly slugs and its at 10.5:1. The fuel injection is worth a couple hp, single plane mani and injection. But yeah, all the stuff is pretty much the same, heads, cam, displacement. You are good for at least 400hp. And really, for a street car at the weigh that they are its gonna be loads of fun.

Nice to see a simple engine like mine for once!!! All these really nice engines you guys have, starting to give me a complex LOL IMO 400 ponies is a great street car engine..JR

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Should have loads of torque too I hope.....I just want to blow the tires off in all the gears :D:rolleyes::cool: and make a decent run down the srtip. It should be a cool sleeper car looks like a junky old 74 with crapy paint and some rust spots. I should probably invest in some subframe connectors too

1 - 13 of 13 Posts