Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took the car out, 72 with a TH350 and a 454. I baby the car.

The car shifted from first into second, and than IMMEDIATELY the entire car began to shake, really shake. There was tons of clunking coming from the rear. I pulled over, inspected the rear, and couldn't find a thing wrong. I left the car running and it sounded fine. So I started again and it was fine for about 10 seconds then the violent vibrations started again, and the clunging and thudding in the back was incredible. I managed to limp the car home, I just inspected the back, but everything looks fine. The car barely drives now, I couldnt keep it above 15 km an hour. The only thing I noticed that was where the pipe from the TH350 meets the back posi, there was what looked like some sort of opening with some black oil wet around it. Not attached to the pipe from the 350, but from the stock posi. There appeared to be another opening on the other side, but it was sealed, this is just speculation but I figure maybe the seal came off this one opening and the fluid is gone. Any suggestions and where to look and what this could be?

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
i would

i would take the rear axle all apart and inspect everything. Pull the axles , take the pinion gear out and i would definately not use the cross pin that goes in the carrier to lock the axles , i'd get a new one. Something somewhere is terribly wrong.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
That "Pipe" is the driveshaft. It sounds like the u-joint is broken. Better pull the driveshaft and have them replaced.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
cross pins

i've saw a couple of those cross pins shatter after a rearend problem that you may be experiencing. Let us know if its just a u joint.

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
U joints.....if it's not them, then look into your rear end...But start at the U's...With the car in park....see if you can move the driveshaft...

·
4,534 Posts
U-joint or broken gears in the rearend. That would be my guess as well as most of the guys it seems.

Miles

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
If the front U joint is bad...It will raise hell when you let off the throttle

·
Registered
139 Posts
Pictures...

Since the description of the parts that were broken were kind of iffy best to show pictures of what you are looking at. Good luck

You can send them to [email protected] if you can not post them here. Take care. Jim

·
Registered
566 Posts
U joints.

This time around put in heavy duties. Make sure they have a grease nipple.

AND make sure the grease nipple aligns to a gap when assembling.

Make greasing your U joints part of your usual maintenance routine.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
So did you ever figure out what the problem was?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts