Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m admittedly terrible with anything electrical. My question is, should the horn relay be hot all the time? I took a test light to it with the car turned off and it lights up. Should this be the case? 67 Chevy II V8.

The previous owner wired this up and I’m not exactly sure what’s going on, but I do have something that’s killing the battery every 2-3 days. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,055 Posts
Yes, that is perfectly normal for those 2 screw terminals on the horn relay to be live all the time. In fact, they serve as a main power distribution point for the car, tying together the battery, alternator output, and main power feed to the car.

However, the relay itself should only be energized (pulling the contacts closed and sending power to the horn) when you push the horn button, which completes the ground to the relay coil.

If you have eliminated all other possibilities in your search for the parasitic power drain, there could be a short to ground in the horn button wiring that is keeping the horn relay energized all the time. Of course, that would normally cause the horn to blow all the time but someone might have unplugged it to stop it.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
I know the 3rd gens were bad for the 'tail-light bulb "sockets" that are now 50 years old.

hook up your 'Test-Light' onto your battery + ....... maybe even go out after dark .... you may see a dim light glowing ... from a bad ground, bad wire, bad "light socket contacts" , check your dome light (even remove that dome light bulb ... & check that test-light ... could be just a simple thing .... start with the easy stuff 1st.
How's your turn signal switch ? Horn / horn button ? Look at u'r dash lights , still have alt/temp/ idiot lights .... check them after dark, also.
Blowing any Fuses -- just thinking out-loud ......
is this an on-going problem ... or ... just started acting-up, now ? ?

example : I had a lady @ work, brings her company truck into th' shop ... "My a/c only blows hot air" =============

I take her word for that & recharge the a/c system :::::::::::: NEXT TIME move the "A/C controls OFF OF "HEAT position"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts