Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having horn issues on my 68. I took my column cover off thinking I was going to start digging into a loose steering issue and ended up uncovering some wiring problems resulting in horn grounding out in column.

I have a stock column and an aftermarket wheel with the grant horn contact kit - man it took me a while to figure this out!
http://grantproducts.com/files/instructions/97508-00-01.pdf

After reading through many threads and my stock assembly manual and grant guide, I have most of it figured out, but there's one part that's puzzling me.

The piece that's causing the ground (right now) is the copper ring that you see in the photo behind and sticking below the grant hub. It seems like it had some type of sealant or glue on it's aft face (wheel side) holding it to the hub. This glue, or whatever it is, no longer holds it centered and it's grounding out on the center of the column. This copper "ring" has a contact tab that the wire on the right attaches to. The other end of the wire attaches to the grant contact plate just under the cap. I've just replaced the wire due to the damage from the last owner's installation.

I have no idea what this copper ring is, what's supposed to hold it in place, or if it should be there. It seems about as thick as a pop can and is so thin that it flexes and detached in trying to hook up the new wire connector. My column doesn't seem to have the stock wire with spring on it that so many people reference.

Please tell me what this part is, how it should be attached, and if it's actually supposed to be used in this application. It wasn't mentioned in the grant guide or my stock assy manual.

As a side note, my blinkers blink Very fast - any chance this is related?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Hopefully fixing that bad wire fixes my battery drain as well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I pulled the car out of storage and remembered I never found a solution to this issue.

Anyone know what this copper plate is and what the proper was to attach it would be?

For now I've disconnected the horn and will tape off the hot lead inside the horn cap.

Thanks!
Amber

1 - 2 of 2 Posts