Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,I need to know what type of contact assembly I need for a 67 nova ss sport/three spoke steering wheel.I have nothing in there now and need an illustration for assembly. If you have something from a service manual I would appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
I have the same situation with my 66...everything works but the horn...It would be nice to see a diagram...photos...anything to make installation of the horn contacts work....

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
I have the same situation with my 66...everything works but the horn...It would be nice to see a diagram...photos...anything to make installation of the horn contacts work....

Randy check your email, I am working on a diagram and I'll see if I can get some pictures.

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Randy check your email, I am working on a diagram and I'll see if I can get some pictures.
Thanks Joel...Hey...I have the manual..I doesn't show any details of the horn connections.......Thanks.......

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Looking at my assembly manual...Pg. 167..It show's the steering wheel assembly...Nowhere does it show the steel ring and nylon washer/spacer that fits on the steering wheel.....:confused:

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
OK here is a series of photos, I don't have the horn ring so had to think about how it went together, I am doing this from memory so I am pretty sure this is how it goes.

First picture is of the column with the steering wheel off, note the button in the upper right corner of the column goes through the steering wheel.

[/IMG]

Next is after pulling the wheel

[/IMG]

This is after pulling the horn contact assembly, note there is a spring that comes off the shaft first before pulling the horn contact (white plastic piece)

[/IMG]

Here are the three pieces you need for the horn ring assembly

[/IMG]

Next step

[/IMG]

Next step (note the white ring fits in between the tabs on the metal piece, the tabs are up.

[/IMG]

Line up the red plastic guides with the holes in the steering wheel and put the horn ring over the red plastic guides then run the screws through.

[/IMG]

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
I'm going to see how this works....Thank you for your time and effort to help with this Joel...:cool:...Not many would have gone through all of that to help out.......Thanks again....

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Sorry Joel...Somethings not right with that setup....I'm going to keep working on it..Only it's hotter than :devil:....I'll take photos' too....see if we can't get this right....Thanks.....

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Rrox's horn assembly

Ok...As you can see in the first photo...I have the turn signal switch installed..The spring and contact pin work fine..

In this photo..You can see the cancel cam assembly..It doesn't have a contact pin or spring...I need the one that's supposed to fit this application..not sure which one that is..

In these next two photos you can see the heavy spring that's installed inside the cancel cam before the steering wheel is installed

This next one of coarse it the steering wheel installed.

Now here are the parts that come after the steering wheel...From what I understand...The steel ring goes on first...Then the plastic spacer...Then the horn ring...then the three hole plastic support with the three small screws.....What I'd like to know..Is what spring and pin is used in the cancel cam...????????...

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Randy, So the slotted round metal piece is the horn spring, according to ChevyII only this goes under the horn button with the tabs up. After giving this more thought I think the red three hole ring goes inside the horn ring from the outside with the plastic circle part up, so the three prongs that the screws go into are going through the horn ring from the top.

Let me do some more research to see if we can figure out where the rest of it goes. My guess is the white plastic washer goes against the steering wheel first.

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
We'll get this figured out....I have to find out which is the correct spring and contact pin in the cancel cam...If I can get those parts...I think I'll have it whipped....thanks for all your help...You wouldn't have those parts laying around would ya.?? :)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Rroxon,

You are missing the key piece to make it work, the pin and spring that goes in the shaft from the cancel cam. Your's is empty, which is the switch that turns on the horn. Year One sells them for the '66 at $35.

It goes like this....

1. turn signal assembly is inside the base and screwed in.
2. cancel cam
3. large spring
4. Steering wheel (with pin from cancel cam protruding from hole)
5. plastic piece
6. metal spring with tabs facing down (not that slotted one if this is a '66, which it looks like by your control knobs)
7. horn ring
8. 3 screw piece screws in and hold the horn ring. It should now 'pivot' on the steering wheel with some spring tension to it.
9. cap

I hope that helps.

DW

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Thanks DW for your contribution..The only thing that puzzle's me is the fact that I'm hearing different thoughts about the belleville spring and the plastic spacer...In number 5..you say the plastic piece goes on the steering wheel before the steel (belleville spring)..#6 If thats the case..How would you get contact to the belleville spring ?...:confused:

·
Registered
681 Posts
Tell you what, if you can hold on it till tonight, or maybe someone else will post, I can tell you when I get home from work.

I had to play with it for a while until I got it right, also, I have the CD version of the manauls. If I have to, I can scan in the pics from the Assembly manual.

I'm at work, so I am trying to go by memory.

James
DW

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks to me like the 66 is different than the 67 3 spoke wheel I have.I beleive I'm supposed to have the metal cup type assembly.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
We'll get this figured out....I have to find out which is the correct spring and contact pin in the cancel cam...If I can get those parts...I think I'll have it whipped....thanks for all your help...You wouldn't have those parts laying around would ya.?? :)
Randy, any luck on this? I don't have another contact pin but did check them out on the Chevy2Only website and they have the correct one for the 66 year. I think you are close to having this solved if you can get the correct contact pin.

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Randy, any luck on this? I don't have another contact pin but did check them out on the Chevy2Only website and they have the correct one for the 66 year. I think you are close to having this solved if you can get the correct contact pin.
Took a little while Joel..I bought a cancel cam from a guy back in Illinois...He's a member of this site..I'll look up his handle..He might have another one...if not here's the handle of another member that has one......just chevy.....contact him if you need one......As far as the 67...I think they are different...I've seen them in the Classic Industries cat.. When I get the cancel cam..I'll take pics of how it goes together.....:cool:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts