Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I seem to have everything wired right except I had to unplug the horn because it sounds constantly and the turn signals aren't working (the 4-ways do though) Before I tear my 73 apart, does anyone have a suggestion on where to start troubleshooting or has anyone had a similar problem? Thanks

·
6,502 Posts
The horn relay may be stuck or the wire off of it that goes to the horn button on the steering wheel has a short.

To pick a spot to start troubleshooting for the horn, unplug the flat connector on the bottom of the column. This connector has the steering wheels horn wire in it as well as the wires for the turn signals. If the horn under the hood is now plugged in and it doesn't sound the problem is from this connector towards the horn button in the steering wheel. If it still sounds then it's possible the horn relay contacts are stuck together. For this you cannot repair the relay but it can be replaced with a new one.

As far as the turn signals there may be a problem in the turn signal switch inside the column or elsewhere (and possibly a bad flasher too) but if you get a wiring diagram it will be easier for you to trace the problem down or have a good mechanic troubleshoot it.

Jim

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Excellent advice from Jim there on the proper way to start a diagnostic on the horn circuit. The horn relay is simply an electricaly operated switch. When the horn pad is pressed, it grounds a small black wire that activates the relay the sends power to the horns.

Instead of listening for the horn to stop honking during your diagnosis, unplug the horns and plug in an unpowered test light (ice pick type) and simply look for the light bulb to go out when you find the problem. You ears and neighbors will thank you.

An easy thing to do (and a common problem) is take the steering wheel horn pad off and disconnect the small black wire. You may find that the wire got pinched the last time the steering wheel was put on or the horn pad may be bad. If so the horn will stop honking. That little black wire goes through the horn contact ring behind the steering wheel, through the under dash connector Jim mentioned, through the bulkhead connector at the dash and eventually to the horn relay. Like Jim said that little black wire is either grounded somewhere or the relay is stuck.

Turn Signals. Lots could be wrong there but most electrical failures tend to be simple rather than complex.

If you turn on the signals and the indicator light in the dash lights up but doesn’t wink on and off it is typically a bad bulb or a bad ground to a bulb socket. The flasher has to see enough resistance in the circuit to make the bi-metal spring in the flasher trip and release. So if a bulb is burnt out the flasher will only see the resistance from one bulb and not activate. This can also happen if someone installs a heavy duty flasher.

If the dash signal indicators don’t light up you could have a bad turn signal switch, blown fuse or an open in the power wire to the signal switch. This is unlikely because your emergency flashers work.

Steve

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

Great info from both of you, I appreciate it! I'll get started tracking down the problems tomorrow. Thanks again !!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Horn and Signal question

I am currently Restomoding a 1973 Nova, please send me a PM so we can stay in contact while we are completing our projects. Thanks Don:devil:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts