Chevy Nova Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
man, i hope you make it to the drags. i have to live through others at this point, since we won't make it this year. here's hoping you can! of course, you need someone to snap pics of you on the track, too!

good luck.

-Rusty

·
Registered
577 Posts
man, i hope you make it to the drags. i have to live through others at this point, since we won't make it this year. here's hoping you can! of course, you need someone to snap pics of you on the track, too!

good luck.

-Rusty

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Well, this isn’t going too great. The Mystery motor/trans is still sitting on the garage floor where it was a few weeks ago. Even if I had every weekend free this month, I probably couldn’t get everything together. Got sidetracked, as usual, with a tractor project: wife wants to put out a garden next spring, and I need to plow down some lime and fertilizer this fall. And helping my son move, I need to clean out part of the garage so he has a place to store items.
This is lame, but at this point I’m down to
“testing” my Nova against my driver Mazda6 with a V6. According to test reports, the Mazda ran [email protected] when it was new. If my Nova won’t outrun it from a 30–100mph roll, then it isn’t going to break the 13 second barrier either. Have to get it assembled first, and of course I have to try it once with the 307”, just to see how embarrassing that is. I’m thinking about 15 car lengths for the Mazda?!?!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hate to break it to you and of course you are collecting some other bits and pieces to go in the project but that combo off the top is a 16 second ride, maybe low-16 at best. The weight, gear set and low torque of the engine are all working against you. Even tossing in the 350 is only going to be a little bit of help unless the gearing and convertor are improved. I understand keeping it where it is for daily driving as it's always a compromise between street and track. BTW, don't let age fool you, I'm quite a bit ahead of you there and 7.80's @ 180 just feels slow to me.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
That sounds about right, 16 seconds would put it a dozen cars behind the Mazda6 in a race (rolling start). With only the addition of the $400 Mystery Motor, that will change!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wish you luck. Every time I have gotten something "extra" in a trade or buy, it was just something else to take to the dump.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts