Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I run a 33.0X16.0 Hoosier tire on my car as does several of my friends. I have used this tire for many years now and I like them alot. However, they seem to have a wear pattern that confuses me. On all our cars the tires wear out on the inside much faster than the outside. I just put new tires on yesterday and again the old ones had alot more dot on the outside than the inside of both tires. I tried a 33X16.5 M/T slick last year and it wore evenly all the way across and actually worked well and lived forever. The problem with the M/T tires was they had different O.D.s. One had almost 2 inches more roll out then the other. That seems to be a problem with the bigger M/T from what I've seen. Anyway back to the Hoosiers. Anyone else use this tire and if so do you see this uneven wear also? RM

·
Registered
87 Posts
It's not from over inflation is it?? I would try running it with less air pressure. Unless you have already tried that. I let lower the air pressure in all my tires to get away from your sister in law!!;) MUUUHAHAHAA

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
I doubt its an air pressure issue with as seasoned a racer as McCoy is. Would more likely be an inherent problem with tire construction. If the Mickeys worked that good, maybe it would be worth the hassel of finding 2 with the same rollout.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The air seems to be OK. I run 7 1/2 lbs and it looks good there. I think it's the tire. Just wondered if anyone else was seeing this. If this set does the same thing I'll talk with M/T and see what they can do with their tire. So far they are still working on a good tire in this size and compound. The ones I had before were pro stock test tires and other than the roll out issue they were a good tire. RM

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Funny. My one and only set of Hoosiers did the exact same thing- wearing down to the cords through the middle, but leaving almost a inch wide swath of good rubber on each side of the tread. What a waste, huh? From what I could gather, it may have something to do with their belt design within the cord. Allowing more flexibilty in the contact patch at high rpms (burning out or at the big end. My tires always showed clean at the end of a run, but the one inch swipe on either side of the tire always had gummy stuff on it like it never had touched the track. If you can, have someone take a pic of your car at the big end, concentrating on your rear tire. You may be surprised at how little is actually on the ground and how much a Hoosier tire really grow's in height. Could it also be a softer sidewall, allowing the tire to grow so much it actually "pulls" the contact patch up along with it??? Dale

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
McCoy, my father runs hoosiers and hoosiers only on his monte carlo. the car goes low 9's and has 33x15 do5 compound hoosiers. we run 9psi of air, and the car gets 1.26 60-foots. We just put a brandnew set of tires on the car because they cost us a semi-final round in maryland(they were shot, car spun bad). We stuck with the d05's which is their soft compound. What compound do you run, and how fast is your car? Your air pressure seems low, but then again our car is almost 3200lbs.....if you'r car's lighter, then you're probably on the money...
here a pic

Don't worry.....I bought the pic, I did not steal it...in fact it's hanging up in my living room...

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 16X33 only come in D07 due to tire shake. My car is 2800 with me in it. Car can run 5.80s at that weight which is like 9.40s. Car has 1.27 60 ft times when it runs 5.80s. When I run the 14.5X32 D05 Hoosiers they wear fine just like the M/T did. Your Dads car looks good. Stay safe, RM

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
How wide is the wheel compared to tire? I always have wear like that, but I believe it's due to the wheel being narrower than optimum. I use an 8.5" with my 10.5 tire, but the ones I see with 10" wheels seem to wear better. Most manufacturers want the wheel within 1" +or- the tread width.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I run a 15 inch wide wheel which is what Hoosier recommends as minimum width for the tire. Hadn't thought about that. Maybe something to consider. I'll ask my buddies what width they are running. Thanks, RM

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
straightaxlenova said:
I don't mean to hijack your thread, but that Monte Carlo is really a beautiful looking race car.
Cheers,
Bill
Thank you, we put lots of hours into that car to get it to where it's at. I just can't wait 'til I'm old enough to get my NHRA liscense so I can drive it.:cool:

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
hey staight axle you arent kidding thats one beautiful car .Excellent paint . Leaves as pretty as that picture . some cars wheels up are violent out of control looking . This car leaves straight . Joes dad built one *** kicking car. whats up joe ? I missed that points day last week had no $$ . I'll be there this weekend 28th

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
ladderbar64 said:
hey staight axle you arent kidding thats one beautiful car .Excellent paint . Leaves as pretty as that picture . some cars wheels up are violent out of control looking . This car leaves straight . Joes dad built one *** kicking car. whats up joe ? I missed that points day last week had no $$ . I'll be there this weekend 28th
Hey, whats goin on...yea I noticed you weren't there....you didn't miss much...dave hance won the ultra quick 7...yea only 7 cars haha and my father was a first round runner up. Getting out of the groove cost him that one, he just never caught the guy....the best part is he took over a car of stripe on my dad...he's lucky he didnt break out....the lights were close, but the car went hard right out of the hole...we tested at island saturday and we fixed the prob so were ready for next week... se ya there.

joe

(sorry for hi-jacking:D )

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Real McCoy I just checked my hoosiers Quick Time Pros 11.5 x 15 and the tires appear to be wearing evenly 13psi . I do think they are wearing out faster then my M/t et streets did

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The problem is only with the 16X33 Hoosiers. Hoosiers are very popular down here in the south and the only people seeing the problem are running the 16X33 tires.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
RM,

Did you contact Hoosier? What did they say? I'm sure they won't cop to a defect in design or manufacturing.

Denis

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Our distributor has told them about this before. They had some thoughts about it but felt it was just our problem and the water box at the track we run being dished. The problem with that is I race all over the place unlike my friends who tend to use one track alot. No big thing really I was just wondering if anyone else here was running this tire and seeing similair wear. RM

1 - 18 of 18 Posts