Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
67 Nova New GMPP crate 383,
1 5/8 supercomps drivers side tube swings out around for steering but blocks access for the oil filter!!! WTF! Has this happened to anybody else?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Just put 1.75 super comps on my 63 an was looking at the same situation. I was impressed at how well they fit around everything an cleared very well. Then I noticed the oil filter situation, I got a 7quart Moroso kick out pan too that seals it off real good. Can't wait till the next oil change, its either drop the header, cut off the tube an weld it back on after or pull the motor. A relocated filter is looking pretty good, might cut he old one up an take it out in pieces,haha!! Damn thing is I really love this ole car!!!

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
I ran the hooker super comps for years on my 66. I could always fit the extreamly short PF-454 (I think that is the correct number) filter on mine with no problems. Maybe I can dig up a pic.
Have they changed the tube location?
Tg

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
I planned my oil control system when I was still considering using supercomps on my 67 and ended up running a remote oil filter setup just to avoid this issue.

Now the filter is near the front of the block even though I ended up using hedman headers. :eek:

But to get to your point, you can use either a short filter or remote mount a regular filter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
66chevyIISS said:
I use K&N hp-2002 with my hooker 1 3/4 super comps and dont have any trouble getting it on and off? :confused:

Its not a problem with autos I have a full lakewood scattershield for my 5spd I believe the bell housing for the auto is different isn't it?

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
I ran the 2122's with a lakewood scattershield and with my 4L60E. The oil filter will not work with the super comps and a kickout pan without mods. I did not run a kickout pan.
Tg

·
Registered
9,994 Posts
JR headers have plenty of room to get at the oil filter and clear a kickout pan. This is one reason I chose them over the 2122 Hookers.

·
Registered
33 Posts
JR headers have plenty of room to get at the oil filter and clear a kickout pan. This is one reason I chose them over the 2122 Hookers.
I wish the previous owner who built my car would have read your post. Even if I wanted to remove the Hooker super comps I would have to lift the engine a bit and there is no easy or cheap solution here :mad:

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
You have the best performing headers out there...that's why their on there.

Sometimes that what it takes to run the best...you could run fender well

headers and have no filter problems but will have two big holes in your side

panels.

Dave
67 Nova Boy

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Go with Fender Well Headers.

It's "Fender Well Headers" all the way. No oil filter problem and "More Horse Power" with "Fender Well Headers".

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
Yep, only have to worry about master cylinder and brake line issues, wire harness relocation issues, heater box and hose issues (if applies), front tire size, turning radius issues, road crap getting into the engine compartment issues, exhaust system issues, higher engine compartment temperatures, etc., etc., etc. with fenderwell headers.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts