Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Im getting to the point of dropping in my engine. I got a 71 Nova dropping in a 355 I was looking to get some Hooker super comps from jet hot Is the 1 5/8 the biggist they go for a small block Also Ive searched the site and found that people with big blocks have fittment issues I was wondering If I would have any issues with fittment on a small block and if there is a good way to install them like putting them in the engine compartment before dropping the motor in or what. Also any you guys ruuning them electric cutouts Are they worth a damn or not I was just wondering if after time the carbon build up would screw with them thanks In advance Nate

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have a 72 with a small block using 1 7/8 super comps. Fit like a glove with no issues at all. Summit has them coated part # HOK-2207-1HKR. Just be sure you have enough motor to run them.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys. Every one Ive talk to says to get them from jet hot though> Anything on the electric cut outs. Nate

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
nate_104_98 said:
Well Im getting to the point of dropping in my engine. I got a 71 Nova dropping in a 355 I was looking to get some Hooker super comps from jet hot Is the 1 5/8 the biggist they go for a small block
One of the largest errors street enthusiasts make is in running too large of a primary pipe, and too large of a collector. For example, NHRA and IHRA Stock teams using Burns' headers in H/SA in traditional small-block powered musclecars are running 1.5-inch diameter primary pipes- much smaller than many street machines are trying to use.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/0310phr_burns/

Unless you've got a particularly healthy 355 you won't need anything larger than a 1-5/8" primary tube and a 2-1/2" collector.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I got some 3 inch Flowmasters Im thinking about running electric cuttouts then to flowmasters then dump down.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the 3" mufflers as they have little to do with the design of rest of the exhaust system. You can always step the pipe up to the muffler size. If you design the system right the cut-outs would be a waste of money.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
the electic cutouts are awesome, we have intalled a few sets in customers cars and i love them. if its gonna be real loud anyway they are kind of a waste of time and money, but if it would make a big difference going from a muffled system to open headers, i say do it

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
NHRA and IHRA Stock teams using Burns' headers in H/SA in traditional small-block powered musclecars are running 1.5-inch diameter primary pipes
Hey Mike,
The headers on my Nova(Davis Step Headers 1 3/4"-1 7/8"-2") are the ones that Jack builds for 350 cu.in. stock eliminator cars. I was going to go smaller, but he wanted to go even larger on mine.
I know back when I ran a smaller engine(391") when changing from 1 5/8" to 1 7/8", I didn't see any increase in performance.
If I were to start over, I might even go smaller after seeing how Dale's runs with only 1 1/2" pipes. Maybe a with 1 1/2"-1 5/8"-1 3/4" step.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts