Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this seal require an adhesive even though it has clips to attach it to the cowl?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
when i installed my hood to cowl seal i just used the clips with out sealant. but i bet when the clips snapped into the holes they cut the paint some. so maybe some sealant might be the ticket at the hole ? i did use an small wood dowel rod 1/2'' dia. to push the chip down to snap it into the hole.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Depending on the year it may be required. For the 66-67 models, the far right hole actually goes directly into the blower motor box. The assembly manual shows sealant at that hole only (noted as 30d) this in order to fight water intrusion. I would absolutely seal that hole at the least.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for that info. I went and looked on page 13 of the '65 Assembly Manual and it shows the installation of the cowl ledge seal. The clip that you are talking about in my manual shows an indicator of "30e" but no explanation of what 30e means in the revision record chart. I see yours says "Cement Symbol added" but the '65 has nothing in that chart.

If the 1st gen. is like the 2nd gen. then that clip could very well be sitting right over the intake of the heater box and I can understand some sealer on that clip as water could drip into that area without some sealer.

I also agree that maybe a little at each of the other holes wouldn't hurt.

Any suggestion of what type sealer to use?

I hope you guys will stay with me as my car was disassembled back in 2012 and it's hard for me to remember these little details. I tried to write down as much as I could and I took a lot of photos but sealers and such do not show well in the photos so I have to ask questions. :yes:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Any suggestion of what type sealer to use?
Happy to help! I would guess you could use any type of sealant but since the factory used a lot of the rope caulk that is what I used, and in this case black.

Anybody have any other suggestions on the correct sealer used in the day?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
well i guess i blew it not putting any sealant in the clip over the heater motor. but i don't take the nova out of the garage if there is any sign of rain. on the other side for use of a sealant, i'm thing i'd use a good quality exterior house caulk with a silicone base.

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I've got a roll of Dum Dum and a roll of some black sticky strips but I'm not sure those would work very well. I did notice that GM used a very small amount of Dum Dum around all the side trim push-in clips and the clips for the peak molding as a sealer so that might work for this. I've also got a couple of 3M black sealer which I might be able to use. Hate to open a tube just to get a few small squirts at the base of the clips before they are pushed into the holes. Need something pliable just in case I have to pull those clips out again.

·
Registered
214 Posts
dumm dumm will work fine back in the day it would have been butale spelling? It's like a silicone but sticky and hard to work with but it rarely leaks basicly it last forever remains pliable. I think its hard to find i had it used on my windshield seal. Google it or ebay unless someone on this site has some. Let me know i can research it for you Neil

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is what I have. I bought these to seal the upper door window weather stripping stainless trim.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I understand your solution to the problem. Here in Georgia pop-up showers are quite common. Weatherman can say no rain and from nowhere a cloud will start to top out and down comes the rain. I had a car one time that the windshield wiper motor broke and I didn't have the money to fix it so I dodged a few clouds or had to pull off the road. It was my only transportation so I had no choice but to drive it. Was not fun not knowing if I might run into a shower when I would leave home.

Now that I know about that particular clip, it will get some sealer on the under side of the clip right at the rubber seal when I install it. My body man said he has some black sealer to use. Thanks to all for the comments. :yes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts