Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

the hood to cowl seal that came in the otherwise great weatherstripping kit is kinda shaped like an M, where the one on the care looks like a P. Apparently, that's an AC-only shape and is not being reproduced. Has anyone found a suitable replacement? I thought that I found one, but the photo on the site it too grainy to tell. It was for a 70-81 Camaro/Trans Am, if I recall correctly.

Thanks!
Mike

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, maybe not shaped like a P. Here's a picture of it in its dusty glory.

·
6,497 Posts
I could be wrong but I believe the hood to cowl seal weatherstrip is the same whether you had AC or not. What was different was the added weatherstrip seal on the front top edge of the radiator support to the underside of the hood when it had factory AC. This I believe was to direct more air through the radiator opening.

Jim

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I could be wrong but I believe the hood to cowl seal weatherstrip is the same whether you had AC or not. What was different was the added weatherstrip seal on the front top edge of the radiator support to the underside of the hood when it had factory AC. This I believe was to direct more air through the radiator opening.

Jim
Thanks, Jim. I have the radiator support seal. It was in the trunk and I forgot what it was! :)
The lady at JW Nova told me that the hood-cowl seal is unique to the AC cars. The one in the kit and seen elsewhere for a 74 Nova looks completely different.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
OK here goes - - maybe .

MikeW . . . . which "seal" are you asking about = the cowl seal
or the core-support seal . . . ?

I have a "Steele Rubber Products" cowl seal - - it looks the same as my stock 'cowl seal' .

# 1 - - hood to cowl weatherstrip : = my 69 Nova

- - - or - - -

the " A/C " core-support seal ( on factory A/C cars only) :

# 2 - - Heart Beat City.com = ' A/C , core support seal ' .

# 3 - - core - support seal . . . on my 69 "Factory A/C Nova" .

They Are Not the same seal . . . .

does your car have Factory a/c ?

jim

I think ALL 3rd GEN NOVAS came with "cowl seals"
But
Not All Novas Came With The "A/C Core-Support Seal " .

·
Registered
4,648 Posts

Jim
exactly . . . . Thanks , CJ . :)

. . . . jim

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK here goes - - maybe .

MikeW . . . . which "seal" are you asking about = the cowl seal
or the core-support seal . . . ?

I have a "Steele Rubber Products" cowl seal - - it looks the same as my stock 'cowl seal' .

# 1 - - hood to cowl weatherstrip : = my 69 Nova

- - - or - - -

the " A/C " core-support seal ( on factory A/C cars only) :

# 2 - - Heart Beat City.com = ' A/C , core support seal ' .

# 3 - - core - support seal . . . on my 69 "Factory A/C Nova" .

View attachment 410292

They Are Not the same seal . . . .

does your car have Factory a/c ?

jim

I think ALL 3rd GEN NOVAS came with "cowl seals"
But
Not All Novas Came With The "A/C Core-Support Seal " .
The car came with AC, but I removed it. I have the core support to hood seal. Can you please post a pic of your hood to cowl seal? The Steele Rubber one doesn't look like what I have. Thanks!

·
6,497 Posts
While the pictures in the below album are not zoomed in on the cowl to hood weatherstrip it might give you some information as to the looks of it.

It seems to me I ordered a new cowl to hood weatherstrip and I'll be darned if I can quickly find a picture of it but it seems to me it was rolled up when I got it and then I put it on a strip of steel to let it relax and straighten out.

Here is a drawing which might help also:

2020-10-1 Hood to Cowl Weatherstrip Drawing.jpg

Jim

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Hi Mike ...................... I'll look around and take a picture ...........................

and note : . . My old seal is still in place (a pic of that one , also) ; so my new cowl seal , I'll find .
FYI = my new cowl screen seal was bought back in - like 1996 / 97 - so it may "look completely
different" than any rubber seal , on the market today .

(yeah, I know ---------------------------------- I had my 'front disc brake parts' for 18 - 19 years before I installed them ) .
..... back then, I was always thinking = keep it original .

jim

u'r car = factory a/c ? . . . do you still have your lower "front A/C Baffle" , that goes under
u'r front bumper ? (the big plastic baffle) .

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Hey . . MikeW

I found my (new) .... "Cowl Screen Rubber Seal " . . . and, said I'd take a picture for you.

I bought this - like back in 96 / 97 - and, never installed it (yet) . . .

# 1 - -

# 2 - - Looks just like the one in Post - # 11 .

there ya go ................... jim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts