Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody got any suggestions (or tricks) on removing hood hinge springs from the hood hinges. Car is 67 SS. I want to powder coat the hinges and the springs are new PO had installed.

·
Registered
171 Posts
most folks use a chain slip the link over the hook on the spring wrap the chain around your arm and pull... prop your hood up first

·
6,474 Posts
You need to talk to your powder coater and see if they want the spring coils apart from each other or touching. I would think they would want them spread apart to where the powder coat can wrap around all of the coil. If the coils are against each other like what they probably would be with them off of the hinges then the coating would not get in between where the coils are touching each other.

I made up a simple spreader bar to remove the hinge springs on my 68 and while I do not have the dimensions they are not that hard to make. The spreaders I made hold the coils apart and on mine I put the springs in some muriatic acid to remove old paint and rust and then coated them with a satin clear.

The picture album:

Some random shots from that album:

Speader bars:

Speader bar holding the spring coils apart:

Spring coils spread apart before soaking them in muriatic acid to clean them :

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
check out you tube GM hood hinge repair.. there is an old dude fixing some hinges and uses a wire to easily stretch
the spring off.. it looks too easy...

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
i saw that in the '65 Chassis Service Manual, looks like half a can--really cool tool.

-Rusty
Yes, that's where I got the idea from. Having the manuals helps out with alot of stuff!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just use my bare hands and pull. They aren't so strong you can't get a good grip. Yes make sure hood is propped up otherwise you'll need a helmet!

·
Registered
1970 Nova SS 350 Brandon, MS
478 Posts
1. Close the hood as far as you can and still be able to get to the spring.
2. Push washers between the coils filling the gaps between as many coils as you can.
3. Lift hood up and catch spring as it falls off the hinge.

·
Registered
171 Posts
1. Close the hood as far as you can and still be able to get to the spring.
2. Push washers between the coils filling the gaps between as many coils as you can.
3. Lift hood up and catch spring as it falls off the hinge.
that's pretty ingenuous...who would thunk

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,281 Posts
This is my blood and damage free method if you have a lift near and the hinge is out.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now This is what I'm talking about. ! ! ! Have engines off hood, have lift, don't want any blood damage. As my grand daughters say, You Rock.

Appreciate all the suggestions and responses.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Anybody got any suggestions (or tricks) on removing hood hinge springs from the hood hinges. Car is 67 SS. I want to powder coat the hinges and the springs are new PO had installed.
I use a big standard blade screwdriver. The bigger it is the better control and less effort you have. You could wrap it in tape or even a soft hose. Use heavy gloves.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Have a friend to help with this. An easy way is to open the hood and that will comprose the spring. Slowly close it to where it extends the coils so it will snugly hold washers between the coils. Then slip washers on opposite sides between each coil in the spring. After you have put a few down each side slowly open the hood. As the spring compresser, it will loosen up to where you can easily lift it off the hooks. You can do both sides at once.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The easiest trick I found is large washers. When spring is stretched insert washers between the coils. Keep adding then when you relax the spring it slides right off. Then as stated use a spreader bar to hold coils apart for powder coating. Clamp spring in vise by one end and rock back and forth inserting washers till its stretched back out to reinstall.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts