Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any one know how many inches from the block deck to under side of the stock hood.
I think I will need a cowl hood ,but really want to stay under the hood.

thanks!

Will

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would install the intake manifold, carb, and air cleaner and then measure from the top of the air cleaner with clay. Not sure how you would easily measure from the deck.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
This is a 66. About 8" from the top of the intake on my small block with an aftermarket intake. Similar to the height of the Edelbrock Performer RPM. This is to the underside seal area of my cowl induction hood.

I had no problem with a 3" tall after market air cleaner on my Edelbrock carb with the stock hood.

2" rise steel hood looks good anyway. Just go for it:D But it isn't my money is it.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well it's.... uh willl be a small block.

I have a block and was going to set it in just to mearsure to see if I need a cowl or not.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I'm not sure if this will help you- but we have four different manifolds for a '66. This is with a stock hood. Edelbrock Performer with four inch air cleaner, GM dual plane (Edelbrock performer RPM equivalent) with four inch air cleaner, Professional Products Air- Gap style with four inch air cleaner. GM Victor junior style single plane, had to move down to a three inch to fit under stock hood. We used Cheetos instead of clay or Play-Doh. Daughter would not give up her stash of Play-Doh, but willingly produced Cheeto's. which we crushed between hood and air cleaner lid. You use what you got, right? This was with a standard drop base and Holley carb. Dale

1 - 6 of 6 Posts