Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for anyone that has made a homemade rear shock crossmember for a mini tub on a 68-74 nova Pics are welcome also:yes: also any info on shocks used would be great

Thanks

·
Registered
72 Frame off, bare metal resto-mod. 383, TH350, Eaton Posi, Complete new suspension, disk brakes
1,519 Posts
Piece of cake

Look at my photobucket, but it's kind of easy if you can cut and weld. You will want to have some angle stock that has a flange the same length as the frame depth, then some 2x2 square tube that has a reasonably thick wall. Cut a couple of lengths of the angle so they will fit the inside of the frame, then the square tube so it covers the distance between the frame rails less the thickness of the flanges. Then make a couple of shock brackets like this:

You'll need to reverse one of the spring mount bottoms because they are the same part not mirror image. I added mounts for a cal-track type traction bar, so that's the added mount to the bottom of mine.

The hardest part was welding the shock mounts into position only because the clamps, shock ends and lining everything up was a pita, but it all works well. I ran the bar too low when I installed it and had to make a C section so I could run the exhaust over the rear axle.

If you have any questions, pm me and we can set up a phone call.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts