Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1967 2 Door
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was searching all over for a rear spoiler for my 67 but couldn’t find any. I wanted one that is similar to the first generation Camaros. Since I previously made a front carbon fiber one for my car I decided to give it a try for the rear. Now the rear is a whole different animal compared to the front. The front wasn’t 3D and was wrapped around my wooden buck and not enclosed. The rear had to be enclosed so a lot of different variables come into play. The bottom needs to be enclosed to mount it to the trunk. It is a 5 sided long triangle basically. Also, the front was the first I ever tried working with carbon fiber and the epoxies you need to work with it. A lot of trial and error went into making this thing. Mostly error. Also used a lot of material and epoxy. A lot! So this is what I did.

The first step was making the original buck that I would use to make the carbon fiber outside parts. I don’t know how to work with foam like the guys who make surfboards but I do know how to work with wood as woodworking is my other hobby. So wood it would be. The first thing I did was figure out the side view of how I wanted it to look and then make stations or like ribs to use as the backbone of the buck. I made 22 of these and glued them with hot glue to painters tape on the trunk so the spoiler will follow the shape exactly and also be removable. The trunk has complex curves which curves widthwise and front to back.

Next I cut ½” wide by 1/16” strips and glued and pin nailed them to the stations to get the basic curve of the spoiler. I used dowels on the top and front of the spoiler to make a continuous even roundness at the points of the triangle.

After this was done I sanded the strips down as good as I could and then proceeded to add body filler to make the final shape.

Now it was time to put on the carbon fiber to start making the final product. I applied mold release wax and also a liquid release to make sure the parts come off. I needed 4 parts to make the final product so the first thing I did was lay the long wide part the covers the top and rear of the spoiler. This was done using 4 layers of carbon and epoxy. Next was the sides/ends so I wrapped the carbon around the ends also with 4 layers of material. The last piece was the bottom which I did the same way as the rest. Now as the time to trim all the pieces and start assembling them together. I used my Dremel tool to trim everything. I put the whole spoiler together using more epoxy and fabric. I also reinforced the insides with more material. After this I added more epoxy to fill the voids as the carbon has a texture that needs to make smooth.

Finally it was time to clearcoat it. I sanded the epoxy down to 600 grit and had it sprayed with automotive 2 part clear. Next up was wet sanding from 1500 to 3000 grit and final buffing. It will be mounted to the trunk with 3m adhesive tape and 2 part liquid adhesive. I don’t want to drill holes in my brand new paint job.

This project kept kicking my ass as I was doing a lot of trial and error because there wasn’t any place to look how to make a spoiler like this. Took me almost 2 ½ months to get where I am happy with the final product. I did a lot of steps over and over but was determined not to give up.

Thanks for taking the time to look and read all this. I am open to any questions that you may have. I can only tell you of my experiences as I am surely not a pro. Sorry that I can’t show you how it looks on the car yet as the car is out to bodywork and paint. I fitted the wooden ribs to the trunk before the trunk went to be fitted on the car.
Thanks,
Rob

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Textile Wood
Hood Wood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper
Wood Automotive tire Vehicle Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Hardwood
Wood Line Road surface Flooring Floor
Wood Hood Floor Flooring Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Textile Wood
Hood Wood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper
Wood Automotive tire Vehicle Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Hardwood
Wood Line Road surface Flooring Floor
Wood Hood Floor Flooring Automotive exterior
Wood Rectangle Composite material Gas Automotive exterior
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Black Tread
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design
Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Grille

Hood Automotive tire Rectangle Road surface Automotive lighting

·
Registered
279 Posts
That's a $5000 spoiler after all the materials and time to build it. It came out great! I never thought of using clear coat over the resin. The smaller projects I did in carbon fiber degraded over a short time from UV exposure. I though the resin would be enough protection with a coat of wax.

·
Registered
1967 2 Door
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a $5000 spoiler after all the materials and time to build it. It came out great! I never thought of using clear coat over the resin. The smaller projects I did in carbon fiber degraded over a short time from UV exposure. I though the resin would be enough protection with a coat of wax.
The west coast systems epoxy says to top coat with something as it won’t last with the sun’s rays. Thanks for verifying that!
Rob

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
WOW! If your craftsmanship is this good on your hobby I can only imagine how good your finish carpentry and millwork must be on your day job! Impressive indeed.

·
Registered
1967 2 Door
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow. Your perseverance paid off. Quality Work. Just curious, what does it weigh?
You know I’m not sure. Ha ha. Probably lighter than a fiberglass one. I made it really sturdy instead of being the lightness as I wanted the carbon fiber look and strength more that the weight savings.
Rob

·
Registered
1967 2 Door
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WOW! If your craftsmanship is this good on your hobby I can only imagine how good your finish carpentry and millwork must be on your day job! Impressive indeed.
Thanks but I’m not a finish carpenter. I do woodworking on the side as a side business. I’m a CAD operator and drew for a living. I also do computer graphics and print T-shirts.
Rob

·
Registered
1963 SS Coupe / 1964 400 Wagon
34 Posts
Very nice craftsmanship! Some of the best parts on our cars are the handmade ones, they just take patience and time. (Lots of time) Excited to see it mounted after you get everything back.

·
Registered
1967 2 Door
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Very nice craftsmanship! Some of the best parts on our cars are the handmade ones, they just take patience and time. (Lots of time) Excited to see it mounted after you get everything back.
Thanks. I’m anxious to see it on the car also. And the front air dam too. Waiting for the body and paint to complete then I can start putting everything on!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts