Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a friend gave me a spreadbore holley,a 750 cfm i think.he said that these are really bad about blowing a valve and backfiring alot.anyone know much about these carbs? is it worth rebuilding? it has a very nice finish.looks really nice but my friend said hes done with holley spreadbores.:mad:

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
a friend gave me a spreadbore holley,a 750 cfm i think.he said that these are really bad about blowing a valve and backfiring alot.anyone know much about these carbs? is it worth rebuilding? it has a very nice finish.looks really nice but my friend said hes done with holley spreadbores.:mad:
I had a Holley 650 cfm doublepump spreadbore many years ago. It was kind of a pain to dial in, but once I got it, it ran pretty well.

Later, when I got the right Q-jet and set it up properly, it stomped the bejesus out of the Holley, but that's another story. :D

·
Registered
247 Posts
savers

FIY they make power valve savers for these carbs....that will stop you from blowing the valve out....and then you can dial the carb in and you should have no problems then...:yes:

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Great carbs.

get the list number of the choke throat and it can be identified,

If the carb does not have P/V protection in the Throttle base plate it can be installed.

If you need the carb work done just contact me.

Thanks

AL

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
really bad about blowing a valve and backfiring alot
Your friend sounds like a real tuning whiz...it's the backfiring that blows the valve.
From my limited experience with spreadbore Holley's, you couldn't give me one. My buddy stuck one on his 71 SS350 Nova when it had a few thousand miles on it, poor gas mileage, less power than the Q-Jet it replaced, and driveability wasn't as good. He screwed with it for awhile and put the Q-Jet back on, and was much happier.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts