Chevy Nova Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Update on my Sniper install. For the last few days I have been playing phone tag with Holley. There latest request was they wanted me to send my hand held device back to them for testing and to set it up. Because they couldn't set mine up with me and the instructions they gave me. I had to "ask" for a call slip because i feel it is still under warranty. They said OK. They would send it ( a call slip- return label) by UPS and that I would get it Tuesday morning. Never got it that day. I e-mailed them back and told them I didn't get anything from UPS and they sent the call slip by e-mail. ( I suggested that earlier). I don't know why they didn't just send me a replacement hand held. I mailed the hand held back to them today the 12th of Nov. They said they would get it back to me in a week. We shall see. So now I wait. Lucky there are no car shows right now. I'll keep you posted on my Sniper install saga

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
this is why i stay with my 600 cfm holley on top of my 327. i wouldn't be able to handle this as i want to kick something for sure. the best of luck straighting this out.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I did the fitech a few years ago and spent a lot of time chasing a few exhaust leaks and tweeking some settings. As much as it learns, they seem to still need some help. After hours of research and e-mails back and forth with Fitech it is pretty darn good, I would never go back to my Holley carb. I would have gone sniper back then but they kept pushing back the release date so I didn't have much choice for affordable EFI. You will get there I am sure and when you do you won't regret the switch. Always some growing pains when switching a major component.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Sort of an up date. Took 6 days for Holly to receive my defective part I sent back to them. Now I wait for them to test it and return it. At least another 10 days. Oh this is fun. NOT. Why they didn't just send me a replacement I don't know.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Great update. Today I got my new hand held screen for my Sniper in the mail. Hooked it up and everything worked perfect. I have 1 question if anybody that has a Sniper could answer, How long does the "learning go on for, like how many miles or what ever? Thanks

·
Registered
144 Posts
Mine so called self tuned itself after a couple hundred miles, you will start to see the learn percentage on the handheld get down to low single digits or 0.
With where I'm located up in northern Nevada.
During the colder months when I first fire it up, the learn percentage is usually up around 10, or low teens. After about 15-20 miles it corrects itself.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Two days ago Holley received your part, repaired or replaced it and now it’s back in your possession. Now that’s customer service.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Great update. Today I got my new hand held screen for my Sniper in the mail. Hooked it up and everything worked perfect. I have 1 question if anybody that has a Sniper could answer, How long does the "learning go on for, like how many miles or what ever? Thanks
I have been driving my car in "learning" mode for about seven thousand miles. You lose nothing by leaving in learning mode. When I took my first trip to cruising the coast my car literally had less than 250 miles on it. I had no idea if it would drive the three hours to the coast or not. I took it for the fourth time this October. I wasn't too impressed with the power it had the first trip but after "learning" there is a lot of difference in performance. Any time it is in closed loop mode it should be learning.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
You should copy your learned fuel map to the base fuel map frequently. It will continue learning as long as there is a difference in the maps. It's not an easy read at first but a simple concept once understood. As your Sniper learns it keep those settings in the learned fuel map. Then it uses them as your driving to modify your base fuel map. As you transfer and smooth those maps together the learning will decrease and your base fuel map will be close to what your car needs to run normal. Also, if you have a O2 sensor failure your base map is very close to what your engine needs and will run just fine after turning off close loop until you can make the repair.

HTH

Steve

41 - 52 of 52 Posts