Chevy Nova Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
6,447 Posts
Update Drove the car. Pretty good except the throttle is very touchy. Come to find out that the Sniper opens all 4 barrels at the same time when you step on the gas. Both primaries and secondaries have return springs, and you have your own return springs on. Makes the throttle feel verry hard and touchy. Solution you get a $13 part to change the linkage from all in to progressive. Part on order, simple fix. Not yet. You have to upload into hand held and tell Sniper you now have progressive linkage. My software does not give me that option. But on- line video's show if you have the latest software you can install it. I just bought this thing you would think it would have the latest software .NOT. I will be calling them Monday for options. Not real happy with all these things. And oh ya you upgrade the software about every year. Don't have to do that with a CARB.
The Fitech efi open together. It is very important to have all four butterflies open at the same time and that the IAC is adjusted as such. I don't think they have the option to use progressive operation. If the Sniper has spring on the primary and secondary butterflies then there should be no need to add another spring. This can make it stiff and touchy to operate the butterflies. The Fitech has two throttle linkage holes and it's best to use the one further from the pivot point for a mechanical advantage. Maybe the Sniper does too.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Here's a thread on the holley forum. Its a long read about the progressive linkage.

·
Registered
144 Posts
To help with the touchy throttle, like I mentioned earlier. You need the throttle lever extension. It made a big difference off idle and isn't as touchy.
Part number is holley 20-16.
Tried posting a link and gets redirected.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
I have the throttle lever extension coming in the mail. In the mean time after Holley walked me through setting up my handheld devise to accept the progressive linkage it corrupted my SD card. They are sending me another one free, no questions asked. Boy this is fun. NOT. By the way Holley said I could just upload a new version of software to my SD card. That did not work. I think thats why they are sending me a new SD card, even though I have the latest update. I am to the point where I will not recommend this Sniper. But not yet

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I read the link that Aaronb listed . That is not what Holley approves. They question why you want to put the progrssive linkage on. You are quoting in the link a non Holley post. Holley wants you to use there lever extension. Sound confusing? It is.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I am to the point where I will not recommend this Sniper. But not yet
Whatup laser-red.....I was just going to ask if you would overall recommend the Sniper :oops:. Are you running their in tank OE style fuel module?

I'm planning on installing their complete Sniper system with their Hyper Spark dist, CD box and coil along with their OE fuel module.

According to all the YouTube videos and forums I've been on they rate it as a great upgrade overall with only a few people being unhappy with it.....I just wanted to get some feedback from a fellow SNS'er :)

thanks

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Don't have enough miles to tell you. I'm waiting on Warranty items that have gone bad. Read between the lines. I'm running the returnless pump and sending unit made for the 67 Nova. Lot of little things they don't tell ya. Had to buy a new air cleaner base. It would not clear the fuel inlet. Had to buy new throttle and trans linkage bracket (700R4). They (Holley) don't tell you about the very stiff gas pedal. The verdict is still out for me. Oh ya and to ask a question to Holley it is 20 minutes on hold to talk to someone then they transfer you to someone that is more savy. Round and round.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I was just on hold for (Holley) 45 min to see where my replacement SD card was for my handheld on my Sniper. It will be delivered Monday that's 6 days after they told me they would send it. NOT GOOD

·
Registered
933 Posts
I think your just hitting a couple of speed bumps along the way but in the end your laser red Nova will be hauling ass up and down the freeway.

If you think about it, there are always different points of views because of end result and hurdles along the way regarding aftermarket products. For example, FiTech has probably received some of the most negative feedback out of the main EFI players out there, and I have never heard of Shane65 give a bad review about his and I think he has driven his FiTech powered C20 cross country....maybe he figured something out!

In the end I think you did right in installing the Sniper. I will be doing the same cuzz I don't have the $$ for an LS swap.

Good luck bud and keep us posted(y)

·
Registered
418 Posts
I was just on hold for (Holley) 45 min to see where my replacement SD card was for my handheld on my Sniper. It will be delivered Monday that's 6 days after they told me they would send it. NOT GOOD
To keep from getting aggravated with the "hold" (and it's not just Holley) I put the phone on speaker and go on with other stuff till they answer.

Following your post as I have same set up waiting to go in if I ever get the firewall clean up and painting done.

·
6,447 Posts
I've got 2 Fitechs. The 72 GMC has had some problems but it has let me drive across country a few times. We use it as our winter snowbird vehicle. Where we go is 2500 miles away. Our 63 Nova wagon has one too. While we haven't driven as far and was limited this summer from some long haul duties because the virus. I built it with cross country capabilities. It has been totally trouble free right out of the box. Both Holley and Fitech, as well as some other efi companies, have their problems,. Many are installation related. Fingers get pointed and the internet is full of stories. Not to say however that there are no product related problems. In both cases we are dealing with Chinese parts and/or assembly. Many happy people don't flood the internet with positive results.
20 years ago in the dark ages of aftermarket efi, there virtually no help in seting up efi. They weren't capable of of the ease of tuning(self tuning or custom tuning) like we have today. I took a mechanical Hilborn intake and converted it to efi. I had to use a generic efi box and harness that was programed for a tpi (350)engine. The only thing that matched for the 427 was the V8 configuration and the timing. The fuel had to be totally mapped out using a laptop and watching a curser move on a graph. I had to manually input the amount of fuel for all the rpm versus throttle position. It was called AphaN ability. Basically the throttle position dictated the mapping. Temperature was only a slight facture. Once I had it dialed in I could change the system to use the O2 sensor to look after the minute alterations. Oh, and it was batch firing. This means the injector fires twice. Once when needed and once when it wasn't needed. 4 injectors fired on 1, 3, 5 & 7. Then 2, 4 ,6 & 8 would fire. Wasn't too bad though because it did give pretty good mpg all things considered.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
At first my car started right up after installation. All my problems started when I tried to correct the stiff pedal. But before that it drove fine, it was learning ect. I only have about 50 miles on it before all the problems that Holley said they would correct with additional parts. Waiting today for the throttle extension that will solve the stiff pedal. I ordered the part on the 3rd of November and paid for 2 day priority mail. It will be here today. That doesn't seem like 2 day mail. The verdict is still out for this EFI. Customer support leaves alot to be desired. More to come

·
Registered
894 Posts
I started my first road trip with my car when it had less than two hundred miles on it. It now has almost 7000. The self learning feature is pretty neat. Without doing anything other than driving and letting it self learn you cannot believe the difference in the way it runs. I have had zero problems out of my Holley fuel injection. I didn't let my fuel injection run my fans or timing. Both of those are stand alone.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Today I got my new SD card in the mail from Holley. It failed to work. Called Holley waited 25 minutes on hold. Rep walked me through uploading the new SD card it failed again. But in the middle of the call, guess what. He hangs up on me. I call back, wait another 30 minutes and tell this rep not to hang up on me. He says we have 2 choices. Go to the internet and download the software that Holley has on line and try it, 2nd option send the throttle body and hand held back to Holley and they will set it up. In the mean time my son dialed into my computer ( he works on computers all day fixing them) and he downloaded exactly what Holley told me to do at there web site. After my son downloaded the software onto the card I went out to the car inserted the card in the handheld and it failed again. Last option when I call them tomorrow I will send this thing back to them to FIX. I'm on the verge of..................

21 - 40 of 52 Posts