Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got off the phone with Holley. Now they say I can't run a small cap HEI with sniper. Whats the difference in wiring between a small cap and a large cap HEI? This is what I'm running now

·
Registered
516 Posts
My guess is it has something to do with needing a 1x signal from the distributor to know which cylinder is firing, but that's entirely speculation. If you can't get a clear answer from Holley, I would contact @projectgattago on Instragram or LS1tech. He knows a lot about the Holley systems and might have a workaround.

·
Vendor
1,779 Posts
My guess as well would be signal patterns and / or interfacing related to the ignition control module. The sniper system may not be able to process ignition data coming from that particular HEI system. If you get an answer, please do post the "why".

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just called Holley this morning. They thought I was talking about a small cap HEI computer controlled distributor. When I explained to them it was just a normal 4 pin replacement distributor with mechanical & vacuum advance he said it will work. Just a misunderstanding. Back to work

·
Vendor
1,779 Posts
Ah, very good (y)

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update on Sniper EFI. I have the Lokar cable for my throttle and a cable for my trans (700R4). Love it. On the trans side it is adjustable in small icrements. Now the catch. It won't line up with the Sniper system. I have to buy a new Lokar bracket that will line up the throttle linkage to the cable. Who new???? $ 75 Oh well FYI

·
Registered
422 Posts
Update on Sniper EFI. I have the Lokar cable for my throttle and a cable for my trans (700R4). Love it. On the trans side it is adjustable in small icrements. Now the catch. It won't line up with the Sniper system. I have to buy a new Lokar bracket that will line up the throttle linkage to the cable. Who new???? $ 75 Oh well FYI
Do you have the part numbers for those parts that made your 700R4 compatible? Im going the exact same route right now

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes glad to help you with the part # Lokar TCB-40HS . The "S" on the end is for stainless steel.

������
Part #FinishInstructions
Sniper
TCB-40HSStainless
XTCB-40HSBlack Stainless
TCB-40HS1Brite Billet
XTCB-40HS1Black Billet
FiTech
TCB-40FITStainless
XTCB-40FITBlack Stainless

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not happy with my Sniper. TPS sensor already bad. 20 minutes of running. They are sending me another one. Can't get my digital fuel gauge to work with there sending unit. I have a 67 nova so my fuel sender is a 0-90 ohm sender. I have there returnless fuel pump and sender in one unit. Great if it all works. Pump is working because it starts and runs. I have about 5 gallons in the fuel tank and the resistance reading from the tank is 3ohms. should be about 25 or so. Holley says I might have a interface problem. I'm measuring right off the tank. Anyway I'll keep ya posted. Every time you call there hot line it is a 22+ minute wait.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: my gauge now works after adding 3 more gallons of gas. I think the float was stuck. Holley sent me another TPS overnight and that fixed that problem. New problem, Air cleaner does not clear the fuel inlet fitting. Oh but Holley says they have a fix. (more money) A "special air cleaner" that will clear that fitting. Oh and by the way that air cleaner will clear only if you have a 6an 90 degree fitting. I don't want a 90 degree. I'm going straight in. Nice things they don't tell you. So I'm going to put a 1" spacer under my old air cleaner to clear that fitting. But the car runs real good. Did before to.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Sucks you had an issue, atleast they took care of you.
I bought their special air filter base. It clears the straight fittings in the sniper kit, but when I did the throttle lever extension.
It wouldn't clear that.
So I added a 1" spacer to get clearance.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hope you don't have any more issues but if you do, post them. I'm learning a lot before I start to install mine.

·
Registered
1963 Nova w/ Pontiac OHC6
140 Posts
Just curious, did you get the regular Sniper or the Quadrajet version?

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update Drove the car. Pretty good except the throttle is very touchy. Come to find out that the Sniper opens all 4 barrels at the same time when you step on the gas. Both primaries and secondaries have return springs, and you have your own return springs on. Makes the throttle feel verry hard and touchy. Solution you get a $13 part to change the linkage from all in to progressive. Part on order, simple fix. Not yet. You have to upload into hand held and tell Sniper you now have progressive linkage. My software does not give me that option. But on- line video's show if you have the latest software you can install it. I just bought this thing you would think it would have the latest software .NOT. I will be calling them Monday for options. Not real happy with all these things. And oh ya you upgrade the software about every year. Don't have to do that with a CARB.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts