Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive did the search function and have done some research but i can
only find that the holley commander 950 tbi may be the only
efi conversion available for my 76 nova 250 6 cyl.
It appears everything else is geared towards v8.My concern is
2 things....1 is that i have the integrated head and intake and 2....
People advise to skip tbi for a more advanced setup.
Anyone done efi for the 250 6 cyl.I dont want to spend 2500.00
for a new v8 drivetrain then another 2000.00+ for efi.
I could maybe buy the 1700.00 holley 950 tbi and call it good.
I just dont know where to go with my car.....I hate carbs and have had nothing but nightmares out of them.I want old school looks with updated fuel
starting and charging system.Thanx for any help on this.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
sorry, know nothing about v6s. are you saying the head and intake are one unit? if thats the case, then it would probably be hard to go mulitport.

I just did a megasquirt conversion for $1500(if you dont add the $500 I had to spend on a laptop because my other one died on me.)

I know that the rebuilder shops around here sell complete 350s for around $500 if you have a core. my friend has one in his el camino. it turned a 10.077 in the eighth LOL but Im sure he could bolt on a set of $1k heads and gain 150hp literally.

so, MAYBE consider a cheap v8, unless you are dead set on the v6, or maybe even a takeout ls1. meanyellowz did it for about $1500. now, that would be wicked.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
You going down the path less traveled. That's fine but it's going to be a harder route than way everybody else goes.

I'm not sure what your goals are but I doubt you are going to save money.
If you are electronic oriented then maybe build your own FI system using a Megasquirt kit and a 2 barrel Throttle body injector. I soldered together my own Megasquirt and it wasn't too bad, though I have a background and experience in building electronics. It's not an impossible job, just needs patience and attention to detail.

Successful Hot Rodding is the sum of money and work. The less money you have, the more work you need to do to get the same result.

Just remember this when you are deep in the jungle with brambles smacking you in the face.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
You'd first have to get a new head (pre 75) and then of course match a new intake to whatever fuel setup you want.
I'd suggest going over to Inliners.org and registering there. Then you can search back for like a year on their "high performance" section, and im sure you'll find tons of topics on there... "fuel injection" "turbo 6" "4200 inline" "Weber side drafts" etc...

Edit: And I've spent $3500 dollars on my inline... With the same money you could buy 2 V8's and hop them both up it seems... But I like inlines.

AND: If you want to find out more of what you can do with inlines then look for Twisted6 here in this forum, he posts alot in most threads dealing with inlines...

·
Registered
3,859 Posts

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
It doesnt look like he said he was having problems with his carb?
just that he wanted to update to a tbi.
"I hate carbs and have had nothing but nightmares out of them"

I think this means he his having problems with the carb. hey, OP, what kind of issues are you having with your car/carb?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanx for the replys.....
I think i may opt to take it to my trusted mechanic and
have him iron out the tuning on my new 1 bl factory carb.
Install a new ground and replace the alternator.
It may be that it needs a complete new starting charging and tuning
system.You guys are probably correct that i should trace or find the cause
of all this.I can get it to start with starting fluid but i cant let it idle
on its own or it dies and then will not restart.Something is drawing a big load on the battery and im thinking its a ground issue.It does have a new starter so I doubt its starter related. Im really dumb about carbs and i guess i need a book on them
and what makes them tick.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
You've come to the right place. These guys over here know their stuff. We have to isolate every thing to find out why its running bad. First thought is

IGNITION
If your timing is off,it won't run right. I don't think its the starter because,well,it starts.
Ignition could also make it difficult/impossible to start.

Here is my suggestion. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on this engine because at the end of it you will see you "could have had a v8" for the same money. Second suggestion is skip the efi and focus on everything else. With the efi money, you can buy a nice 350 that will really perform

Next suggestion is ask a lot of questions and last suggestion for now is go to half price books and spend $20 on a few books. Hotrodding,electrical,performance,etc

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
First you need a new head 1973 or older,1974 and up use the intrigal head with hardened exhaust seats, you will have to get the seats converted, and get a offy or clifford 4bbl intake then install your tbi, your better off using a smallblock with the tbi for the money.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Thanx for the replys.....
I think i may opt to take it to my trusted mechanic and
have him iron out the tuning on my new 1 bl factory carb.
Install a new ground and replace the alternator.
It may be that it needs a complete new starting charging and tuning
system.You guys are probably correct that i should trace or find the cause
of all this.I can get it to start with starting fluid but i cant let it idle
on its own or it dies and then will not restart.Something is drawing a big load on the battery and im thinking its a ground issue.It does have a new starter so I doubt its starter related. Im really dumb about carbs and i guess i need a book on them
and what makes them tick.
If you have electrical problems your ignition may not be firing right from insufficient voltage. I'd get that ironed out first. I wouldn't condemn the 1 barrel just yet. You may have other problems that contribute to the poor running. I wouldn't spend any money on a fuel injections system until the engine and electrical system were in good shape.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts