Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about changing my Edelbrock Carb for a Holley Carb. I have a crate GM 350/290hp in it. Has a small cam in it.
Stock exhaust also, HEI dist. About 325 HP i would guess. Need some feedback on which Holley with electric choke to get. Also would like to use the dual snorkle air cleaner. Going back to the stock look. I got the orginal single AC but I'm running a duel snorkel on. .
Thx
Dave

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
GM recommends their 670 which is the holley avenger, you will be very happy. Also likes the 3/8 fuel line.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I'll admit it, I'm old school. With that said I'd buy anything except a carburetor with vacuum secondary's. I'd probably put a 650 double pumper on it. Would prefer something with the air horn milled and would forget the choke. Been running them for almost forty years and never needed a choke. I know it's more money but I've probably bought my last carburetor. I put a throttle body fuel injection unit on my last build and would buy another in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have the GM Perf. 350/333hp crate which comes with the Holley Street Avenger, as Jaynova states. It was a turn-key initial start and run but you really do need to refine it. Even if not familiar with Holley 4150's it's easily done with all the detail available out there.
I do have one bitch however. The electric choke. Part of that is my indifference towards Carbs (EFI is soooo much better in this space) and the other part is while the Hiolley adjustment is simple to shorten the duration of hi-idle, it seems its trade-off is worse. It will fall on its face every time you stop until the engine temp catches-up. Safety is my concern here so I wait it out in the driveway.

A good friend tells me he chose Edelbrock over Holley for just this reason. Okay. That's an opinion so I'm not yet convinced.

·
Registered
780 Posts
To add to what Taco said, IMO Holley's are a science project. Squirters, jets, PV's, pump cams, choke all have to be optimized once you take it out of the box. Then of course there is the magnfying glass attention you have to pay to the size of the transition slots. The more cam duration the fussier they get.
Big money for poor MPG and headaches.
Yes, every performance car I've ever owned has had one but I'm working on my first LS......I'll be happy to leave Holleys in my rearview mirror.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts