Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just talked to a Holley technical guru. Explained to him I am running a 350 Crate motor 8.5 : 1 with a Weiand dual plane intake, 450 Holley Carb (verified), Competition 279T Thumper Cam, Hooker headers, flowmaster exhaust.

He says the carburetor (450) is too small and the car shouldn't even run??

He stated normally the 450 cfm's are used as dual carbs on a tunnel ram intake.

He stated I'd be better off to put a Holley 670 cfm Street Avenger (electric choke) on.

Also, if I were to get a carb with electric choke how difficult are they to hook up and where does one connect the choke wires to?
I understand it has to be connected to a 12volt ignition source.

I have always had the old no choke carbs.

Just looking for input from other Nova guys/gals out there.

What are your thoughts. Thanks

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
I have the 670 street avenger on my 67....its an outstanding carb!!Its easy to hook up the choke too......iirc...keyed ignition....450cfm is too small....id get it if I were you!!

·
Registered
72 Frame off, bare metal resto-mod. 383, TH350, Eaton Posi, Complete new suspension, disk brakes
1,519 Posts
My 383

I'm running a 570 Avenger and the engine doesn't get enough air. It was the carb on the old 350 that was in the car when I bought it. I'm going to 770 so I can get lots of air in there.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I'm running this carb on my 355 and it seems to be doing the deed, but my engine will never see more than 6000 rpm in it's current configuration. Just run a wire to anything that is hot when the key is on. Piece of cake. Gotta run it though because it also controls your fast idle circuit. I found out the hard way by trying to run with the choke not hooked up.

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
I have a 670 Street Avenger with a manual choke. Really happy with the carb and how it works.

Have another Holley with an electric choke and absolutely hate it.

Ray

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got it now Batman....... iirc If I Recall Correctly ...Holley instruction does say to hook it to a 12v ignition activated source.

I'll see how long the wire is when I get it and possibly hook it to the radio fuse.

Graymond....I'm not liking the way you say you hate the electric choke?? :( Hopefully that won't be the case for me. :no:

Thanks for the replies and input. Should have it by this weekend and possibly installed by Monday.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
adjusted correctly

I have a 670 Street Avenger with a manual choke. Really happy with the carb and how it works.

Have another Holley with an electric choke and absolutely hate it.

Ray
What is your reason for hating the electric choke? They are easy to setup and haven't caused me any hoteful issues. :D

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
What is your reason for hating the electric choke? They are easy to setup and haven't caused me any hoteful issues. :D
I simply can't get it to work right. Either the fast idle never comes off or the choke never comes on. I must have had the choke off a dozen times to try to get it to work. Replaced the fast idle cam, and nothing.

Had some fuel tank issues, which I believe are sorted out and now am ready to try to tackle the choke again. I have not yet tested to see if it is getting full voltage but that is the next step.

My manual choke works every time:D. And the carb was less too.

It is a 750cfm Holley and on a 502 big block in a 67 pickup. Did just pass smog though.

Ray

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
typical issue

I simply can't get it to work right. Either the fast idle never comes off or the choke never comes on. I must have had the choke off a dozen times to try to get it to work. Replaced the fast idle cam, and nothing.

Had some fuel tank issues, which I believe are sorted out and now am ready to try to tackle the choke again. I have not yet tested to see if it is getting full voltage but that is the next step.

My manual choke works every time:D. And the carb was less too.

It is a 750cfm Holley and on a 502 big block in a 67 pickup. Did just pass smog though.

Ray
Lots of people think they have an issue with the choke then find its actually that its not getting power or the correct voltage. Since you said it effects both your fast idle and the choke, Id be willing to bet you arent getting voltage at the choke to begin with. I had the same problem.......then I found I cant blame the carb cause Im a dummy :D

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got my 670 Street Avenger Thursday PM via UPS and installed it Saturday morning. Made minor adjustments to the idle mixture & curb idle.

Took it out for a spin and WOW!!! I find this carb amazing to say the least at this point.

Love the electric choke. No more having to keep fluttering the gas peda to keep it running on initial startup.

Thankful I made the purchase. Should have done this sooner than later!!

:):):):):)

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
I have had a 670 Street avenger in my car for quite a few years. Bolted it up from the box and adjusted it.......haven't touched it since. I am quite happy with it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts