Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a Holley 4160 on my car . After parking the car in the garage ,and I later return, I smell a heavy fuel smell, and noticed a small amount of moisture(gas) on my intake. I am guessing the bowl gaskets are shot since it looks discolored on the bottom side of the gasket. The screws are tight , and I am wondering if gaskets just wear out? Is this common? I never tore a carb apart and need to know if these gaskets are as easy to replace as it appears. Will the carb need to come off to change them? Thanks

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
you can take the carb off the manifold if you want but i dont think your bowl gaskets are leaking i think its your main body gasket and throttle shaft leaking holleys are notorious for that i would recomend taking the carb off the motor if you have never taken a carb apart and place it on a clean surface ( perferably your work bench ) www.holley.com has instructions for your series of carb ( 4160 ) to help you rebuild it hope this helps good luck :D

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input! The next question is, Is it worth it? Looking at the exploded pics of all the parts makes it look like it might become a nightmare.lol, Would rebuilding it require a lot of fine tuning of the carb when done? I read a post about these carbs and it seems that a lot of people sound like this particular model isnt too desirable. My car is just a driver(non hi-perf 283). Maybe a new carb might be in order?? Any particular brand? Better yet, what should I stay away from?

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
well your running a 283 i would still use a holley maybe a 670 street avenger carb they are ready out of the box ( you shouldnt have to tune them ) i would stay away from edelbrock carbs although they work i dont care for them imo demon carbs are ok but pricey. imo its always good to learn something you never know you may become the guy to come to when it comes to tuning carbs. its not to hard to take apart a carb and put it back together im 32 and have down it several times and i remember the first time i did it :eek: but it worked for me. alot of people are in your shoes thats because they arent familiar with carbs hey where human its ok i was like that too. its your decision do you have the budget for a new carb or a rebuild kit and a little elbow grease :D hope this helps :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts