Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a stock 64 chevy ii wagon with a 250 6cyls. has a holley 390. having trouble getting the throttle linkage to work properly. whenever i got full throttle, the stock rod bends keeping it from getting the carb ot open all the way.
any suggestion on a mock up or replacement set up.

Thanks Lee
new member started today.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hi Lee, Welcome to the site! Can you put up a picture of what you have now. It will make suggestions or diagnosis easier and more accurate. Neil

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Look at the link that "Brooksey" posted --- some Very Good "390 Holley Carb info with Pictures" ……….
Thanks Dan …

That Whole 'link has some Great "Photos of carb Hook-ups and even info about using those "Split-Cast-Iron-Exhaust Manifolds"
-- Thanks to 'hbanger' (Brian).

Lee --- my 'Throttle bracket was from "Skip White Performance.com" , made hooking up my carb linkage very easy .
FYI : they sell that same carb-bracket @ Summit for twice the price, or Holley has the same carb bracket listed for
about $ 80.00 ------ Holley Part # 20 - 112

Be advised that my car is a 3rd gen -- and, uses a throttle cable as stock carb linkage. That "Stock throttle cable" @

O'Reilly's -- # CA-8472 …. 21" long - $ 11.99 .

I even bought a "Lokar 36" SS cable - that I did-not use (because my stock cable worked so well. Even hbanger
uses a throttle cable.

I hope this can help you, jim

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
LMBOO ----Lee

also I saw that you are using a "Clifford Intake" --- where both me & hbanger have "OFFY intakes" --- really no difference,
for hooking up th' throttle linkage.

Lee --- can you post up some pictures of your "under hood photos of your 'Complete motor' ---- those other pictures are almost
tooo close-up. See what I mean ………….. jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Holley 390

Thanks all for the info. i'm out of town this week but will do some research next week.
when going to a cable setup, what pedal assembly is getting used.

Lee

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
LMBOO
one of your big issues is that you have the wrong firewall linkage. Our L6 hangs down and is off set away from the intake Then the linkage goes up to the carb. Dual450Clifford.jpg your linkage should only need a small off set to the carb kinda like what is in this photo.
20190916_092753_Burst01.jpg and the firewall linkage arm should look like this one.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Thanks all for the info. i'm out of town this week but will do some research next week.
when going to a cable setup, what pedal assembly is getting used.

Lee

For using a 3rd gen throttle "Pedal" …….. I think that would work very good , then the stock 'cable' would attach
very easy. My cable even hooked right onto my carb assembly really nice ---- I did have too mount a (cable)
" throttle ball" ---- for the end-of-the-cable-too-attach to. (I had another 'Holley Carb' that I robbed that throttle ball from).

#1 --- picture of my inside gas pedal

#2 --- I used the same 'Cable' that was for my 'stock 1bbl carb' .

#3 --- the "red circle" is where I installed my 'throttle ball' --- for the cable connection onto my 390 carb .

#4 --- This picture IS the current set-up on my 69 , 250ci motor.

…………. you can see that I did change one 'return-spring' -- because the two new springs were too stiff. Also,
you can see where I installed 2 -- 5/16" bolts on the carb bracket at each side of each mounting blocks ---
just incase that block were to come loose and want to slide out of adjustment.

"click on the top bar --- to enlarge these pictures --- for the best view"

Lee …

even if you buy the "3rd gen style gas pedal & throttle cable" ---- I think it will be easy to install into an early style Nova.
I can also take any more pictures if you need more .

NPHNP --- --- jim

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Lee ….

You may need one of these "plastic throttle accelerator cable -- retainer inserts " .
It attaches the cable to the accelerator pedal arm (inside the car) .

chevy2only -- part # 03021

I looked : I show this - more to show the part that goes there -
if you buy another gas pedal assembly (for example: to fit a 3rd gen style gas pedal ==== make sure to also buy this plastic clip …. or ….
make sure it is included in the "kit" .

looks like this :

https://gmclassics.com/part/throttle-accelerator-cable-retainer-plastic-insert-attaches-cable-into-accelerator-pedal-arm/

or :

Classic Industries.com ----- (same plastic accelerator clip :

https://www.classicindustries.com/shop/search/?q=403929

just trying too help …. been there !

jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Holley 390 Linkage

thnaks all. i have not been able to get back to this problem yet. i will hopefully soon.

thanks all

1 - 13 of 13 Posts