Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a hinge repair kit W-314 for a 72 Nova. The kit comes with 2 large steel knurled bushings. Are they for drilling out a bad hole and tapping in or is there a specific location for them.

·
Vendor
1,762 Posts
Some lower hinges used the knurled sleeves in the slot by the spring. Not sure if it was all cars.

Reactions: ramportin1

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, I did see some discussions like that but were still vague as to what models and what years. It mostly referred to a setup where the top hinge the pin pointed down and the lower hinge the pin pointed up with the knurled bushing. I will proceed with installing the new bronze bushings as the old ones were installed. None of my old bushings were worn through to the point it damaged the hinge pin holes. Thanks for the response.

·
Vendor
1,762 Posts
Yeah the info out there can be vague. I do not think the hinges varied between years and models, beyond the obvious changes in the hinge design (I include welded hinge with this). Example being the upper hinge redesign in 1967. Where I do think things varied is between the manufacturing sources GM got the hinges from. Usually stuff like this is cosmetic, but you do occasionally run into more mechanical differences.

There could have also been a designated manufacturing change at some point that would have been called out in a service bulletin. In that case you would follow the later design, which would be considered "improved". I do not know if this was the case here with the hinges, but could have been.

Bottom line you are using the process many follow - put them back how they were. Good luck (y)

Reactions: J Mark

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some lower hinges used the knurled sleeves in the slot by the spring. Not sure if it was all cars.
After doing the repair one of the holes is bigger and it is the one closest to the spring. That is where the metal knurled one is tapped in. '72 w/welded hinges. Thx!

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,494 Posts
Mark, Thanks for the follow-up information regarding the door hinge bushings.
I'm sure your findings will be helpful to others undertaking this project in the future.

·
Vendor
1,762 Posts
This discussion prompted me to see what the GM books say. I just focused on the lower hinges and they are a mess o_O There were numerous changes, likely prompted by the Nova's redesign in '68 and the brand new federal safety regs. Probably add-in some design flaws that were worked out as well. Here is the breakdown, the books normally do not say what has changed.

--1968 LOWER does not appear to have been superseded until mid '70s when it was discontinued--
RH ... 7722194
LH ... 7722195

--1969 LOWER--
RH ... 8736262
LH ... 8736263

--April 1970 LOWER supersedes the '69 hinges and covers through 1975--
RH ... 9817408
LH ... 9817409

--MID 70s LOWER supersedes all the previous versions and appears to cover all 1968 - 79 X Bodied vehicles--
RH ... 3063211
LH ... 3063212

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just finished up the passenger door of my '72 yesterday and can confirm that the knurled bushing is installed in the upper position in the lower hinge closest to the spring. Side note, the OER replacement detent roller that is supposed to fit the '72 is too tall and the detent hits in the middle of the lower lip of the roller when installed. If you're looking to replace these, make sure you get the version with the bevel in the bottom (where the post inserts into the hinge) these are just a little shorter and allow the correct detent contact, although it's still very close.

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I just finished up the passenger door of my '72 yesterday and can confirm that the knurled bushing is installed in the upper position in the lower hinge closest to the spring. Side note, the OER replacement detent roller that is supposed to fit the '72 is too tall and the detent hits in the middle of the lower lip of the roller when installed. If you're looking to replace these, make sure you get the version with the bevel in the bottom (where the post inserts into the hinge) these are just a little shorter and allow the correct detent contact, although it's still very close.
Thanks for the info, I put off buying the roller the other day I will look out for that when I pick them up. Do you have a part number? Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the info, I put off buying the roller the other day I will look out for that when I pick them up. Do you have a part number? Welcome to the site.
I purchased my second set from H&H Classics, part #30472 but if you take a look at the image you should be able to find them elsewhere if you have a preferred vendor. Thanks for the welcome!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts