Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question for the racers............I run a 4500 stall converter(race only.no street driving).I have light springs in my distributor to get all the advance in quicker.With this converter would it be better to run heavy springs since I'm leaving the line at 4500?Would this maybe help traction a bit?Just curious.....thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I’d leave it. You want the advance to come in as soon as possible. And with a loose converter like yours, it should be at full advance by the time the car leaves anyway.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Have you considered locking out the advance so you have total timing in all of the time.
Like was said, if its a footbrake car, locked out timing is best. That puts as much power as you can to get it to leave. For a transbrake car, its not AS important. A fast advance rate is ok since you will leave off the rev limiter wide open, so as long as your 2 step rev limiter chip is above full advance its fine. My Chevelle was run the same with the transbrake. I left at 4600 and it was full advance by 22-2400 rpm. So it made it easy to start without the locked out timing, and it was at full timing on the transbrake before I let the button go.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I prefer to lock out the distributor, especially for a 100% drag car. Less issues with unstable timing, or distributor issues. If it is hard to start get an msd starter saver. You can also get a programmable box to take some timing out at the hit and hold it out for whatever time you program into it. Very useful if you bracket race on poorly prepped tracks.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Like the others said, I’d lock it out. Depending on your cam profile you can probably get away with it. I have my distributor locked out at 35-36 degrees. 421 sbc with around 10.75-11.1 compression. No issues starting or shutting down.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Back in the 70s when racers were poor and all these trick devices weren't available we ran distributers with one light spring or no springs at all. The points or magnets would drag the mechanical advance back so the engine could start easily. Just how people use to do it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts