Chevy Nova Forum banner

81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,444 Posts
400 block with only two freeze plug's?

I have a question for you guy's. How much can a 400 factory block(509 casting #'s)and is a 2 bolt main's take? HP wise. I have one that is making 449.3 HP and 498.8 FT LBS. Just want to know if this motor is at it's limit. Do I need to go to a after market block? I want to drop the comp. and put a Procharger on it.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
the timing chain maybe rubbing the block
I just put the block on the stand yesterday; I'll mock it up before final assy.
I've only had 1 block ever make contact there, but this could be the next!

Just want to know if this motor is at it's limit. Do I need to go to a after market block?
My buddy ran a 509 block in a Nova that ran high 9's, but it was half filled with Hardblok. It had over 350 passes before he changed to an aftermarket block, but still checked ok.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have one of the first bowtie racing block casting 184 with a one-piece rear main seal, blind heads stead. It is not splayed mains and two bolt end CapS. Has anyone ever heard of one like this? I was wondering if it would be better than a factory 509 casting block?

·
Registered
9 Posts
always heard the best block to rebuild was a high millage one and thats what racers looked for,any core shift or block flaws would of showed up by then the more miles on it the better

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have one of the first bowtie racing block casting 184 with a one-piece rear main seal, blind heads stead. It is not splayed mains and two bolt end CapS. Has anyone ever heard of one like this? I was wondering if it would be better than a factory 509 casting block?
Thats an older block for sure its a nice piece GM built them and anyone who bought those blocks could put and caps they wanted on them. I have put a lot of caps on those blocks over the years. Those blocks were non priority oiling from what I remember.

·
Registered
19 Posts
always heard the best block to rebuild was a high millage one and thats what racers looked for,any core shift or block flaws would of showed up by then the more miles on it the better

Only way to really check a block out is sonic test the cylinders, Its mostly one cylinder that fails the whole block. I have about 40 of them that I would not use for a performance build.

High nickel blocks are a myth unless your talking a Bowtie block.

81 - 87 of 87 Posts