Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey when ever I have my lights on and push my foot on the high beam switch, it shuts all my lights off and I have to push it again and turn my lights on and off for them to work... Any Ideas on whats wrong?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Buy yourself a new dimmer switch. I found out the hard way with my 1/2 ton driving down the highway late at night, hit the switch and no lights at all at 65 mph. I'm glad there wasn't much traffic at 2:30 A.M. I thought it was the headlight switch itself but it was a short in the dimmer switch.

·
6,558 Posts
I would pull the floor switch out again and check for voltage on the input and the two output wires. I wonder if the input or output terminals or the wire is corroded under the crimped on ends and not making good connection.
The connection in that area is subject to corrosion probably more if a person has gotten in the car with snow or water on their shoes and the water may have worked it's way under the carpet to the connection. It's also possible too there was standing water in the floor in that area and the sound deadener wicked it up and made the connection corrode.
By tracing down where you are lossing power you should be able to find the problem.
It's possible too that the new switch is defective. You just need to troubleshoot it.

Jim

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would check my headlights to make sure that the high beam filimant is not burnt out. That is unless all your exterior lights go out. Than I would check to make sure your grounds and connectors are good.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
That happened on mine when I put all new wires in .Ron Francis guys said I had the two wires plugged in wrong.I swtiched em and AOK.

·
6,558 Posts
lifetime62 said:
i got one for you how about when you drive and your light are dim and all of sudden they brighten up
It could be due to one or more things like a poor battery negative to body ground connection if all the lights dim, a faulty voltage regulator, a poor radiator support to fender connection if just the headlights dim, possibly a sudden demand of amperage and the alternator cannot supply what's needed, a poor connection here or there on a wire, and a few other things.
I had a poor battery negative terminal to fender connection and on my 77 and the headlights would dim now and then as would the dash lights and the blower speed would vary. Any item like a light bulb or DC motor will vary in brightness or speed with varying voltages. Resistive loads will do that. Items that have regulated power supplies like in some electronics will take a fluctuating input voltage and stabilize it like in newer radio displays to where even if the input voltage fluctuates between let's say 8 and 15 volts the brghtness of it does not fluctuate.

Jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts