Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I've been looking at these hid's for my nova but wasn't sure if they'd work/fit at all. I'd prefer not to have to make a custom mount for them...

http://www.andysautosport.com/chevrolet/1968_1974_nova/lights/hid_lights/oracle/orcl00000181.html

Does anyone have experience with these or hid's in general?
Those aren't even HID's. They might have HID bulbs, but without a projector, you'll just be shining light everywhere and blinding everyone.

Do NOT do this. This is the same as the "HID's" the OP posted. Without a projector, HID's are useless.

That is not a true HID, just a ballasted H4/9007 no matter what they want to call it. If you want TRUE HID your gonna spend $1000 bucks.

http://http://www.ironworksspeedandkustom.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/Category_ID=17/home_id=-1/mode=cat/cat17.htm
Those are LEDs, though, but I remember seeing those on a BMW forum when I still had my BMW. They're supposed to be even better than HID's, and supposedly the military was testing them a few years ago and had positive results.

The only way to get HID's for cheap is to buy projectors, a cheap set of H4 conversion headlights, and put the projectors in the headlight housings. I did it with Acura TL projectors (which were the best bi-xenon projectors at the time) but I'm probably going to sell them off and get smaller projectors since the TL ones are freakin HUGE.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Those aren't even HID's. They might have HID bulbs, but without a projector, you'll just be shining light everywhere and blinding everyone.

Do NOT do this. This is the same as the "HID's" the OP posted. Without a projector, HID's are useless.

Those are LEDs, though, but I remember seeing those on a BMW forum when I still had my BMW. They're supposed to be even better than HID's, and supposedly the military was testing them a few years ago and had positive results.

The only way to get HID's for cheap is to buy projectors, a cheap set of H4 conversion headlights, and put the projectors in the headlight housings. I did it with Acura TL projectors (which were the best bi-xenon projectors at the time) but I'm probably going to sell them off and get smaller projectors since the TL ones are freakin HUGE.
They are not LED's. They are HID's that are factory equipment on Harley Davidson bikes

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Uh...in the link you posted, right above the big picture of the headlight it says "Ironworks LED headlights"...

Also:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/...4302514675&bmUID=1325201720559&bmLocale=en_US

LED Headlamp and Auxiliary Lamps

Cut through the night. Harley-Davidson® LED Lamps are brighter and whiter in color and provide a superior light pattern over standard incandescent lamps. Compared to the yellow light of a traditional halogen bulb, the LED lamp produces a "Daylight Color Impression" that appears more natural to the user. Headlamps feature 2 horizontal "D" shaped lenses that focus light into a pool in front of the motorcycle, and separate high beam and low beam projector lenses that provide a focused beam of light in front. 4" LED Auxiliary Lamps feature 3 "D" shaped lenses that focus the light, and provide a matching appearance to the LED headlamps. The solid-state LEDs are designed for long life, and the shock- and vibration-resistant lamp assembly mounts into existing light housings. Installation is quick and easy, and the plug-in lamps connect to the factory headlamp wiring. No external ballast or complicated wire harness is required. The LED lamps are DOT approved for use in all 50 states.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so it looks like I'm not going to get "true" hid's then...I can't justify spending that much on a small part of the car.

So, what would be the best route to get the bright blue lights, without "blinding" everyone? I already have the 7" halogen Sylvania (I believe) glass if that's needed.

Thanks for the replies guys. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How about you just try blue Syran wrap over your headlights, and maybe an oversize wing double side taped to the trunk would complete that look.
I'm not going for a completely stock restoration here. If I want to try something and am seeking help with it, doesn't it seem like we could cut the bullsh*t replies and maybe have an open mind?

That being said. I don't want the dumb purple lights that civic's and other ricers have. I want a semi-dark blue look. The car is going to be painted gun metal gray with flat black racing stripes. I'm going for a look that will stand out more than the typical muscle car candy apple red, gloss black, or blue with white racing stripes. Honestly, dark blue lights would look sick, and having the muscle car sound to go with it would complete them.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Ok, so it looks like I'm not going to get "true" hid's then...I can't justify spending that much on a small part of the car.

So, what would be the best route to get the bright blue lights, without "blinding" everyone? I already have the 7" halogen Sylvania (I believe) glass if that's needed.

Thanks for the replies guys. I really appreciate it.
How much are you willing to spend for HID's? You could measure the voltage at your headlights, and if you're not getting 12 volts, get a headlight relay harness to up the voltage. I just so happen to have one from Painless that I don't need anymore. :yes:

Do you have a certain timeframe in mind for getting them? I'm going to be building a set and making a tutorial in the next few weeks so everyone can see how easy it really is to get HID's the right way. And it should only cost about $300. :cool:

ALSO, keep in mind that slightly off-white (4000-4300K color temperature) to a pure white (5000k temperature) give the best light output. Anything with a higher temperature (white with a blue tint is about 6000K, and then you have stupid useless bulbs that are purple at 8000-1000K) has a DRASTICALLY lower light output. So unless you're only going to take the car to shows, I wouldn't recommend getting any crazy colored headlights. Also keep in mind, that the cut-off of HID's with good quality projectors is a nice crisp blue line, which is what gives newer cars with HID's that blue look to the headlights. So really, you could just get projectors and some 5000K or 6000K bulbs and be good to go. I had 6000K's in my BMW and everyone that rode in the car said my light output was unreal; it was like turning on the sun when I turned on my headlights, lol.

sorry, my bad. All the LED's I have seen are completely different looking,:eek:
It's cool, sorry if I came off as a douche. It was late and I was tired so I probably could have been more respectful and less douche-y. :yes:

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
Do you have a certain timeframe in mind for getting them? I'm going to be building a set and making a tutorial in the next few weeks so everyone can see how easy it really is to get HID's the right way. And it should only cost about $300. :cool:
This I gotta see.....

Not to sound like an a-hole but will these be legal? They may work but what about the duty cycle? Will it stand the test of time?

John

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How much are you willing to spend for HID's? You could measure the voltage at your headlights, and if you're not getting 12 volts, get a headlight relay harness to up the voltage. I just so happen to have one from Painless that I don't need anymore. :yes:

ALSO, keep in mind that slightly off-white (4000-4300K color temperature) to a pure white (5000k temperature) give the best light output. Anything with a higher temperature (white with a blue tint is about 6000K, and then you have stupid useless bulbs that are purple at 8000-1000K) has a DRASTICALLY lower light output. So unless you're only going to take the car to shows, I wouldn't recommend getting any crazy colored headlights. Also keep in mind, that the cut-off of HID's with good quality projectors is a nice crisp blue line, which is what gives newer cars with HID's that blue look to the headlights. So really, you could just get projectors and some 5000K or 6000K bulbs and be good to go. I had 6000K's in my BMW and everyone that rode in the car said my light output was unreal; it was like turning on the sun when I turned on my headlights, lol.

It's cool, sorry if I came off as a douche. It was late and I was tired so I probably could have been more respectful and less douche-y. :yes:
My stock lights give off enough light, I'd say just as much as my 02 ford explorer does so output is not an issue.

I can wait a while for the lights if needed, would there be any way to do that cheaper until I can do it the *right* way?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm not going for a completely stock restoration here. If I want to try something and am seeking help with it, doesn't it seem like we could cut the bullsh*t replies and maybe have an open mind?

That being said. I don't want the dumb purple lights that civic's and other ricers have. I want a semi-dark blue look. The car is going to be painted gun metal gray with flat black racing stripes. I'm going for a look that will stand out more than the typical muscle car candy apple red, gloss black, or blue with white racing stripes. Honestly, dark blue lights would look sick, and having the muscle car sound to go with it would complete them.
Hey Subs, I have researched a good HID option quite a bit, and 95% of the people out there DO want that "SWEET" purple look. They don't care that it is uneffective, blinding and illegal! Sorry I grouped you with that bunch of yahoos. That said, you will have to do a lot of researching to fully understand what an true HID conversion will require. Here are a few of the most helpful threads and sites I found:

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113402&highlight=headlight&page=2

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/index.php

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/forum.php

Welcome to Steve's, now lets see some pics of your 73!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Subs, I have researched a good HID option quite a bit, and 95% of the people out there DO want that "SWEET" purple look. They don't care that it is uneffective, blinding and illegal! Sorry I grouped you with that bunch of yahoos. That said, you will have to do a lot of researching to fully understand what an true HID conversion will require. Here are a few of the most helpful threads and sites I found:

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113402&highlight=headlight&page=2

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/index.php

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/forum.php

Welcome to Steve's, now lets see some pics of your 73!
But the thing is most of the people that do want the purple look are either guys driving ricers, or older mustangs (at least in Vegas that's how it seems). Sorry if I came off short in that reply...

Those links are interesting...I guess I should restate the light color I'd like to achieve after seeing that first link. I'm not wanting an all blue color, but more of an off-white/bluish color like the guys civic with the acura lights. That looks nice.

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
But the thing is most of the people that do want the purple look are either guys driving ricers, or older mustangs (at least in Vegas that's how it seems). Sorry if I came off short in that reply...

Those links are interesting...I guess I should restate the light color I'd like to achieve after seeing that first link. I'm not wanting an all blue color, but more of an off-white/bluish color like the guys civic with the acura lights. That looks nice.
Probably best not to mention the word "civic" or "acura" in your posts. The bowtie guys don't like those words. Hahaha! Best to say "luxury sedan" lights!! LOL!

John

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Probably best not to mention the word "civic" or "acura" in your posts. The bowtie guys don't like those words. Hahaha! Best to say "luxury sedan" lights!! LOL!

John
Haha that is very true. I was just using that car as a reference point to which color I was talking about lol

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Go this way with a 5200k or 6000k. The 6000K is more blue then the 5200K. If you're headlights are aimed correctly you won't blind anyone. This is a low cost set up and the bulbs and ignitors work very well. I have used this set up in couple friends cars who very happy with it. RICK

1 - 19 of 19 Posts