Chevy Nova Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Maybe some of the 3rd generation members can help you with this, but not everything on cowl tags has been decoded. Some of the numbers/letters are internal plant codes. Cowl tags were Fisher Body directives to their line workers as they assembled the bodies. All these tags were stamped as model 114 (V/8) whether the car was going to be or not. The legal VIN was assigned by Chevrolet later in the build process. If your VIN says 114 you have a V/8. A 113 VIN is a six cylinder. The VIN tells the truth! You will not find the VIN on the cowl tag.

Bob
Thanks Bob, yes I understand. I have heard some talk that the letters and numbers I indicate refer to exterior options. I am trying to see if this is true and what my options were.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I do have another question.

What are the few extra letters and numbers on line 3 of the cowl tag?

O2C M 2 0500

I know 02 is February and C is 3rd week, but what is the M, 2, and 0500?
The M should be the color of the metal part of the dash, A,B & C pillars, as well as the rear metal section of the dash. If the car has custom interior it will be textured paint, or smooth if it had standard interior. Although, I'm not sure what color M would represent other then maroon. What color are these parts? The number 2 is the amount of exterior trim options order with that car. I'm unsure of the 0500.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I do have another question.

What are the few extra letters and numbers on line 3 of the cowl tag?

O2C M 2 0500

I know 02 is February and C is 3rd week, but what is the M, 2, and 0500?
The M should be the color of the metal part of the dash, A,B & C pillars, as well as the rear metal section of the dash. If the car has custom interior it will be textured paint, or smooth if it had standard interior. Although, I'm not sure what color M would represent other then maroon. What color are these parts? The number 2 is the amount of exterior trim options order with that car. I'm unsure of the 0500.
The interior was all gold including dash, seats, headliner, everything.

I really want to know what exterior features it had. Any way of knowing if it had side molding? I know it had chrome window trim on the sides. What else?

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts

I really want to know what exterior features it had. Any way of knowing if it had side molding? I know it had chrome window trim on the sides. What else?
What about the color of the paint under the interior at the A & B pillars?

The side moulding would have welded studs to secure the trim at the waist line. The doors and fenders would have holes at either end where a stud was secured with a speed nut.

·
Registered
551 Posts

What about the color of the paint under the interior at the A & B pillars?

The side moulding would have welded studs to secure the trim at the waist line. The doors and fenders would have hole at either end where a stud was secured with a speed nut.
Are the A and B pillars framing the windshield? Haven't looked under.

Is there a factory color chart with the letters to match up?

So the 2 would be painted drip rail and then chrome window frame on sides?

Any idea about the 0500?

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts

Any idea about the 0500?
There is record somewhere, I can't seem to locate it, A= black, B= blue, G= green, M might be gold because G is used for green, but I'm not 100%.

No, it would need to be bright/Chrome drip rail and bright/Chrome door trim.

I've seen the 0500, but I've followed the 69 model year more and can't remember what it represents. :eek: We have discussed it on the site, so it might be possible to dig up with a search.

·
Registered
551 Posts

Any idea about the 0500?
There is record somewhere, I can't seem to locate it, A= black, B= blue, G= green, M might be gold because G is used for green, but I'm not 100%.

No, it would need to be bright/Chrome drip rail and bright/Chrome door trim.

I've seen the 0500, but I've followed the 69 model year more and can't remember what it represents.
We have discussed it on the site, so it might be possible to dig up with a search.
Oh very cool. So mine had the chrome drip rail. I always liked that. Is that pretty easy to update?

You're probably right about M=Gold.

I search a lot for the 0500 code and that is how I found this thread, but nothing specific to my question.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,753 Posts

Hi there . . . ' RealDealMaker ' . . . . . you have "replied to an older post" . . . . .

from : Nov , 2017 . . . . . those guys = may - or - may-not . . be around .

SSNovaSS396 - - - was last seen on SNS , like = 8 months ago
and
taz3 - Paul - - - was last seen on SNS , 9 months ago

........................................................... but ....................................

still a very interesting ( Hidden VIN Numbers ) . . . . . . subject .

I do have an old Nova parts car . . . . and , I did look at the "heater Blower motor area (the heater motor
is removed . . . and , we were looking at / for other parts (not really much there , left on the car ) . . . then,
I remembered ' this very post ' - and was telling my friend - "Hey there is "supposed" to be a
hidden VIN # (inside the heater blower motor housing) . . . . we , then looked . . . . and , there IT WAS .
I'm going out & look under the ' cowl screen ' . . . . now .

Then, I also have a 'spare 69 SS Nova = sub-frame = laying there (also a spare) . . . I think I will
look at that . . . . . (I have looked at that sub-frame - L/F horn area before ; I did not see anything ) .
But , this sub-frame is still 'painted & dirty' . . . . so, I will clean / sand that area & look there .

my Nova parts car = 73 Nova 4dr ; 250 cu-in complete motor ; TH - 350 trans ; stock rear & sub-frame .
my Nova spare sub-frame - - I pulled from a 69 Nova SS car - - (no motor or trans) ;
with a multi spring - 8.5 - 10 bolt rear . (body was 'junked out' = gone) . . . before I found ' SNS ' .

I will report back - - - on what I DO Find (any extra - - " Hidden VIN #'s ) .

. . . . jim

and , ' TheRealDealMaker ' . . . . . WELCOME to SNS . . . . glad to have You with us . . . .

Reactions: exotec

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
Here goes : showing the = HIDDEN VIN Numbers = on a 3rd gen Nova - - 1973 , 4dr car .

# 1 - - the 73 car we're working with :

# 2 - - side shot : (this is the car that has the ' rear windshield defroster unit ' ) .
and a "sticker from New Jersey" . . (like a state inspection sticker) .

# 3 - - the cowl tag . . . 'attached with screws' (it's never been off ) .

# 4 - - dash VIN # ................. (no paper work - for this car) .

# 5 - - The heater - firewall "Housing" . . you have to remove this housing
to see the hidden vin number (you can see the "last 3 or 4 digits - - in this
picture. With this ' view ' . . you could "Read the complete VIN # through
this "blower motor hole" .
But - - there IS Another Vin # . . . behind this Housing .

# 6 - - last 6 numbers of the Vin # = (3W) 276706

Do you see the "second Hidden Vin # " . . . . . . ?

# 7 - - and , YES - you can read each number " very clear " .
compare this to Photo # 6 - - and photo # 5 . . . why you should
"remove your heater (firewall side) housing . . . too find the second number " .

# 8 - - blower motor = close up shot .

# 9 - - the Heater Core - number = close up picture .

I did NOT see this number . . . . and , would NOT Have looked for it . . . . . .
If . . . . I had not read the upper part of this post .
Look back at Photo # 6 . . . . . would be very ' easy too miss the second number .

Would I take my 69 (running & driving) car apart . . . . just too look for any "Hidden
VIN # 's . . . . . . . . . NO - I would not . . . . (unless there were some "legal issues" ) .
But , for this 73 Nova . . . . well . . . . "
Pictures are Golden " .

I hope this will help others that (just wonder) or . . . may need to know there are
"Hidden VIN Numbers" . . . . and , now you can find them .

just more SNS - FYI info .

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
Hidden VINs on 1968-72 Novas are similar to 1967-1969 Camaros.
This is a partial vin, example, 9N365031.
The full VIN at dash, of course would be 114279N365031.

2 locations shown are at heater blower motor opening and heater core opening, on firewall.

Another partial VIN is on passenger side, top cowl area opening, underneath cowl grill which you have to remove it and wiper arms for visible access. It will be stamped like the other 2 near opening on side near windshield.

Another partial VIN will be near the front clip frame stamp, left outside edge near front bumper left bracket mount. The frame/VIN stamp will look similar to this:

P.P.S. 3954642
E 15 9
9N365031

or

S. 3965600
A 15 9
9N365031

"P.P.S" is Parish Pressed Steel or an "S" is A.O. Smith
"E 15 9" is build date, May 15, 1969
"9N365031" is partial VIN.

TAZ3, they are there, you have to carefully remove the paint to see stamp. I have seen these on 1969 Camaros and Novas.

Gary

If you look back at the post above : Picture # 5 . . . . you can see that I also "removed the 73 Nova
cowl - windshield screen . I DID Look for those Hidden Vin Numbers . . . . . under , around , inside ,
Top & Bottom of that area ' under the front windshield cowl screen' . . . . . and . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

found . . . . . . . Nothing .

I even look & removed the "factory Caulking - Seam Sealer" - - - looking for any = ANY - numbers .
Nope . . . not-ta . . . None . . . (that I could see) .

So, I moved on . . . ., . . . . . . .

to look for ANY Numbers - - - - - - - - - on - - or - - around the "Front Sub - Frame . . bumper "bracket
area" . . . at the front Left Side ( Both on the '73 Nova & my spare '69 sub-frames) .

# 1 - - my spare = L/F frame / bumper bracket area : from a 69 Nova SS , I
removed this frame from this car (no motor , no trans , and 'junk body' .
This IS where I had gotten my "stock front disc brake parts" . . for my 69 driver .

I had looked , once before . . . . . but, at this time , I cleaned things up , better .
I found "exactly NOTHING" . all the way back to the 'upper a-arm mount' .

# 2 - -

# 3 - - same . . . . . . sub frame . . . . zoom - in "bumper bracket area" .

# 4 - - the Top area . . . . NO Numbers found . . . on this 69 Nova Sub-Frame .

# 5 - - note : This is the L/F area on the '73 parts car . No Numbers found in this section .

Both 'sub-frames' were very open . . . . . meaning , I could see very well . Look back at the above
post . . . . . picture # 2 . . the 73 Nova . . has no front fenders . . . . very easy too see .
No Numbers Found .

But , I will say . . . . that my " 31 model A frame " does have "The Vin Numbers - stamped in the
Top Of the Left Frame Rail . Those frame numbers ARE LISTED on my "31 Model A - Arizona car
Title .
And , some GM / Chevy cars could have 'numbers on the sub-frames' . . . . . . but, mine DO - Not .

FYI . . . .

jim

·
Registered
227 Posts
Nice find Jim and thank you for guiding me to this topic!

can confirm the vin 2 times an the firewall around the heater core and blower motor opening!

I‘ll lookup the subframe later today.
3rd gen xbody Oldsmobile Omega

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
thanks Jim that was an interesting bunch of pictures.
years ago i was having some vin number problems on a mercedes i shipped back from germany. i called the state police an they came to the house with like a finger printing kit an went down to a frame spot in the front an lifted vin numbers. an i had thought i knew ever corner of the car.

Reactions: Twinshadows
21 - 35 of 35 Posts