Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where might a person look for hidden vin on a 70 nova?

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, i looked tonight and they match

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Hi

Hi,
They definitely should match the vin number and
most likely the trim tag, but sometimes the trim tag
is different. Vin overrules all other numbers.
Ken

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
do those #s match the vin# or the cowl tag?
They match the VIN, Tag is body ID and sequential numbering only, if that makes sense.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
They match the VIN, Tag is body ID and sequential numbering only, if that makes sense.:rolleyes:
ditto. The hidden vin numbers will match the vin number on the dash they will not match the number on the firewall tag. That, as paul said, is the body sequence number.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hidden VINs on 1968-72 Novas are similar to 1967-1969 Camaros.
This is a partial vin, example, 9N365031.
The full VIN at dash, of course would be 114279N365031.

2 locations shown are at heater blower motor opening and heater core opening, on firewall.

Another partial VIN is on passenger side, top cowl area opening, underneath cowl grill which you have to remove it and wiper arms for visible access. It will be stamped like the other 2 near opening on side near windshield.

Another partial VIN will be near the front clip frame stamp, left outside edge near front bumper left bracket mount. The frame/VIN stamp will look similar to this:

P.P.S. 3954642
E 15 9
9N365031

or

S. 3965600
A 15 9
9N365031

"P.P.S" is Parish Pressed Steel or an "S" is A.O. Smith
"E 15 9" is build date, May 15, 1969
"9N365031" is partial VIN.

TAZ3, they are there, you have to carefully remove the paint to see stamp. I have seen these on 1969 Camaros and Novas.

Gary

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
2 locations shown are at heater blower motor opening and heater core opening, on firewall.

Another partial VIN is on passenger side, top cowl area opening, underneath cowl grill which you have to remove it and wiper arms for visible access. It will be stamped like the other 2 near opening on side near windshield.

Another partial VIN will be near the front clip frame stamp, left outside edge near front bumper left bracket mount. The frame/VIN stamp will look similar to this:

Gary
Do these include the Nova? I've never seen them nor can I locate them on my 69's.:no:

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Hidden VINs on 1968-72 Novas are similar to 1967-1969 Camaros.
This is a partial vin, example, 9N365031.
The full VIN at dash, of course would be 114279N365031.

P.P.S. 3954642
E 15 9
9N365031

or

S. 3965600
A 15 9
9N365031

"P.P.S" is Parish Pressed Steel or an "S" is A.O. Smith
"E 15 9" is build date, May 15, 1969
"9N365031" is partial VIN.

TAZ3, they are there, you have to carefully remove the paint to see stamp. I have seen these on 1969 Camaros and Novas.

Gary
Hi Gary
just so i under stand correctly, are you saying there is a partial vin stamped into the front sunframe itself? if so, i have never seen any partial VIN stamping on any subframe at all and i have had many subframes come through my hands....the only partial vin stampings will be on the firewall....

·
Registered
178 Posts
So can a guy put these number together to make a complete vin. The vin was rotted away on the dash in a car I rescued from the weed at a farm. Trying to get in contact with owner to get a title but need full vin number

·
13,805 Posts
So can a guy put these number together to make a complete vin. The vin was rotted away on the dash in a car I rescued from the weed at a farm. Trying to get in contact with owner to get a title but need full vin number
Generally, if you take the hidden VIN numbers and add the model number ahead of them, you will have a complete VIN.

Bob

·
Registered
905 Posts
I have not seen a hidden VIN stamp on top of a Nova cowel. Only on Camaros. Never seen a VIN stamp on either a Camaro, or Nova frt stub. Chevelles have them on the frames depending on the plant they were built in for location.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Darn, I just exposed these 2 locations and they do not match my dash vin#
I have a title from DMV with the dash vin #'s. How screwed am I and why would these Vin #'s not match?
it's a 69. Also the dash tag number starts with 114 but my vin is a 113
I know this is a really long time ago, but I am hoping to reopen to further this quest and information. First of all, to quote this question, is it possible someone switched out the dash or did a restoration? Would the dash come with a new vin? I am worried to check mine and don't really want to rip out my heater core area to check.

I do have another question.

What are the few extra letters and numbers on line 3 of the cowl tag?

O2C M 2 0500

I know 02 is February and C is 3rd week, but what is the M, 2, and 0500?

·
13,805 Posts
Line 3 of what? Are you referring to the cowl tag, or?

Bob

·
13,805 Posts
Maybe some of the 3rd generation members can help you with this, but not everything on cowl tags has been decoded. Some of the numbers/letters are internal plant codes. Cowl tags were Fisher Body directives to their line workers as they assembled the bodies. All these tags were stamped as model 114 (V/8) whether the car was going to be or not. The legal VIN was assigned by Chevrolet later in the build process. If your VIN says 114 you have a V/8. A 113 VIN is a six cylinder. The VIN tells the truth! You will not find the VIN on the cowl tag.

Bob

1 - 20 of 35 Posts