Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. My name's Wes from CA valley. I had a 63 Nova SS, my dream car, tat unfortunately I had to get rid of years back. I'm looking to get one again. Love a high rpm screamer so 327 sounds better this time (I had a 383 stroker). Like it pretty much stock looks wise (suspension, brakes, drivetrain I'll work on, I mean body, interior, etc,). I found one that fits the bill but the rust bubbles and such concern me and I can't really fly to see this thing, but seems to be a great deal. What do y'all think? Sketchy it good buy? Here in CA they tend to go for double that it seems, this one's in budget. Thanks and can't wait to be part of the Nova club again!

·
Super Moderator
'67 4 door, 65 wagon. WISCONSIN
6,912 Posts
Looks pretty nice. Some of it looks fresh, but then there are a few of those rust bubbles you mentioned. For that money, and the risk of not seeing it yourself, might be worth using an inspection company to give it a close look.

Then again, if you're in California, keep looking. You'll find something rust free there.

·
15,176 Posts
Hi Wes, and welcome to the site. Those rust bubbles are always a concern. Hard to tell what's really going on under them. Usually, it's way more than what's visible. Just for info, this car was
born a six cylinder Nova sport coupe with a powerglide. Missing the sport coupe mid body trim, but many of these are, because if it needs to be replaced, it's hard to find. I'd be inclined to wait
a few weeks until the post holiday period has past and more cars are on the market. JMO.

Bob

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
I am not an expert but some of the lower trim areas are rounded almost looks like it could have been bondo ed -- I agree with the other folks, those bubbles would scare me --- The car has been modified a lot i.e. missing trim - shifter is not original etc. I can't tell what 327 is in it as the heads almost look like a newer 350 no double hump or powerpack but there are experts on here that could tell you. My opinion for that money you could find better, I would pass on this one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh I forgot I had some conversations with the dealer. It's a 68 327, 350 turbo transmission thus the new shifter.
Yeah, the bubbles are what make me hesitate. I guess I've been trying to talk myself into this car because of the colors and original interior (most seem to end up with black interiors, not a fan. My buddy has a red XL with a black interior and it's like being in a cave to me, love the light colors), and now that I'm ready to get a Nova again I'm probably a bit impatient. ;)
Thanks for the input. I'm trying to get an inspection in that area but otherwise I guess I'll have to wait. :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should note I want some things to do on the car I get. I don't want a done car, I want projects, I also don't want a full frame up type thing though. Something in the middle I can drive and work on at the same time. So, I don't mind doing some body work (I'll have to learn that one, only thing I've never done) but don't want something with tons of filler or too far gone either.

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
Welcome to the site Wes.. That 65 doesn’t look too bad on the surface but there is plenty of evidence pointing to some obvious rust in the usual places. It really depends on how much and how extensive the rust is.. I’m in SoCal and have had 4 1st gen Nova’s all of which had some rust.. A California car is not impervious to rust.. It’s just not subject to snow and salted roads which accelerates and exaserbates the rust in these or any car.. Before you make any deal, I would make sure this car has a thorough inspection for rust and any rust related repairs that might have been done.. Having a running car is pretty cool but the devil is in the details.. I suspect there is more here then what is presented in the video.. A bucket of Bondo and a quickie paint job can make any turd shine long enough to sell but rust never sleeps..

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
5,815 Posts
Hey Wes ....................... Welcome to SNS ........... really glad too have you here .

OK .......... "Adivce" ............. everyone has some ............ so , from me ...............

go back & "read both post # 6 and # 7 .

bottom line = you DO NOT want RUST , really of any kind . ( ........ Rust - - never sleeps ) .
as Joe says ............ (y) .

I will say : That , you are looking ............. and , "these guys on SNS " - - are some of the Really GOOD
Guys ........... they know there stuff ............... (there are , maybe , better cars out there ........ and , I
really like the 65 Nova car years) .
But , I think you can find a more Solid type car . All other things can be Fixed much better , than

any
RUST . ..................................... (not worth very much , but that's my 2cents ) .

then , you can really have - - - - a Happy 2022 , new year .

. . . .
jim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, it was sold before I could get it, wasn't meant to be. Still on the lookout for a 62-67 then!

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
2,235 Posts
Hello and welcome to the site!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again. I'm going to look at this beast today. Looks like a sedan, post/no post reallly a big deal? (I had a no post ss originally but only because I was young and a friend told me I had to have no post). What do you guys think of this one/deal?

·
Registered
1973 2 door sedan 350 / 350
213 Posts
Welcome aboard

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Proud Nova owner again and she's a beast! Bought it!
Still some things to do which is great for me and she's CLEAN.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Hood
Grille Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1967 Nova SS
1,262 Posts
Congratulations and Proud you should be. Definitely a "smile" per "gallon" ride.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts