Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
installed a hi torque starter on my 63 nova, I cant remember the wiring

I have power direct from battery to big terminal on starter, and 1 wire from positive on coil to small terminal on starter
so now I have a purple wire and a black wire that disappear into wiring heading into firewall, I thought they both also went to small terminal on starter, but when I turn key, I get nothing

also I have no points I upgraded to electronic , I read I might need a diode on purple wire if I had points

PLEASE HELP

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
A picture or the name and model of the starter and solenoid would help but as you pointed out the battery cable goes to the large terminal and the purple should go to the S or Sol terminal. If it has an R terminal that's where the wire to the + terminal on the coil.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
powermaster- powermax plus - model 9100
is the solenoid the part of the starter where the wires connect?

or do I need a separate solenoid? I don't have that box on the firewall ive seen on other cars. only coil and starter

so purple wire to starter S terminal, power to big, there is no R terminal, so where does wire from coil + go to? and im also left with a black wire in a white casing

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
still stuck

i got the the r terminal diode kit still no go
power to power
r terminal jumper with diode to starter motor and coil +
purple from car wiring to small terminal on starter

im left with one wire coming from same area purple comes from, its a black wire in a white casing- ANY IDEAS?

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Check that the purple wire is getting power thru the neutral safety switch. It might be that your nss is not working and no power to the starter when you turn the key. I have a T-350 tranny and no nss but I put a momentary switch under the dash that I have to push at the same time I turn the key to the start position. Acts as a cheap anti theft device, interrupts power to the starter when you turn the key unless you push the button at the same time. It connects the purple wires(acts as a neutral safety switch). Yes I know I can start it in gear. Check out these instructions from Jegs/Powermaster - https://www.jegs.com/i/Powermaster/713/9100/10002/-1 download the pdf file and look at page 2 question 2.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey thanks for all the help, I put a new purple wire in , but didn't know to go thru the NSS, I like that switch idea, can you tell me more about it , what kinda switch is it. right night it will turn over but not run

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have the same starter, it was done by the previous owner. I only have the purple wire going to the starter, connects to the spade terminal.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
With momentary switch installed in the nss circuit, the engine won't even turn over. Need to turn the key to start position and press the switch at the same time to start. It interrupts the signal to the starter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts